Boulevard
Reserve with OpenTable
Boulevard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 5,834 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: SoMa
Cross street: Steuart St.
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Three of us, including one vegetarian, came here for a memorable meal experience - it was superb! Tim H., our server, was the consummate professional and seemed to have a deep appreciation for good food and knew everything about of the meals put before us. His recommendations reflected a keen sense of his customers needs and were excellent. Tim's attention to our meal helped make this an extraordinary experience for us.

The food was a remarkable blend of tasty ingredients - the beet salad was much more than beets, with every bite a combination of flavors to savor (morbier cheese, pickled cauliflower, etc.). I started with the fava bean raviolini - fresh little raviolis stuffed with mashed bean - surrounded by fava beans, small morels (yum!), tiny roasted radishes, and other taste surprises (excellent).

For the main course, our vegetarian was presented with a magnificent assortment of asparagus, crispy nebrodini and hen of the woods mushrooms, roasted shishito peppers, blue potatoes, small onions, etc. dabbed with a ginger/lemon sabayon sauce - beautiful presentation and every bit as delicious as it looked (none of us could resist helping to eat this!). (Unfortunately, my iPhone photographic skills were simply not up to the task with this complex dish.)

I had the halibut which was cooked perfectly and served over ceci beans and other taste treats. (Raven, the First Nations creator, would have been pleased that the Alaskan halibut was treated with such respect!).

To finish we had the strawberries with balsamic vinegar gelee and other fabulous culinary manipulations by an obviously very skilled pastry chef (next time I will have to take notes to keep up!). We also had two cheeses, a French Coulommiers (like a more interesting version of Brie) with honey and walnuts; and a Swiss "Tete de Moine" ("Monk's head" - that is scraped instead of cut from the cheese round to bring out the flavor) with orange marmelade (both of these cheeses were excellent!). We finished with a nice espresso.

I wish I lived here; I would visit Boulevard often for the service and the food. Nancy Oakes is a chef superstar!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,630)

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We went to this restaurant because it was highly recommended by some of our friends. We knew it would be expensive and our expectations were pretty high. I had lamb and it was just okay. I can't recall what everyone else had but none of the four of us were impressed with our food. Even dessert, raspberry sorbet was disappointing. During our 4 day trip, this meal was our most expensive and least satisfying.

1  Thank Suzanne T
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have eaten here three times in the last three years on our visits to San Francisco. Each time we came with a large party for a family reunion. We have never been disappointed. Our table this time had a nice view of the Bay Bridge. This year our server was Dennis. He did an excellent job helping us pick entrees and wines. Everything was delicious. The food was efficiently served even though we had a large party. They made it look easy without having a lot of people scurrying around.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We came upon this restaurant by chance as we were battling to get in anywhere. Also full but got seats at the bar. Wonderful cocktails then a meal which really surprised us all, it was so good. SF certainly a very busy place and difficult to get reservations at the decent restaurants.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was SO impressed. The server was a pro - so was every other staff person I saw. They all worked together like a well-oiled machine. Had the wild salmon - so perfectly cooked I hated to see it go! I make salmon once a week and never get it to this level - what skill. Dessert was a perfect combination of flavors - many little details of flavor - delightful to see as we'll as eat. It's costly, so be prepared! Check out their menu on the web.