“Tasty Food - Service ok.”
Review of The House

The House
Ranked #51 of 5,946 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We booked their last seating (10:30) on a Saturday night (it was either that or come earlier and face a 45 min wait)...we waited about ten minutes after checking in with the desk to be seated...it's located in a cool area bustling with revelers enjoying the local pubs, bars (strip joints) and eateries. I could see going out to party a bit in this area then hitting the House for some great eats. We were eventually seated at a small table (which actually prevented us from ordering more dishes). The staff was ok, but kind of snarky but it's understandable, as they are dealing with a constant pressure of getting people in and out of a pretty small place and we were basically last seated. The scallop appetizer was delicious and devoured quickly. For entree, I had the sea bass with garlic noodles and it was excellent. My companion had the halibut special (they were out of the pork chop), which was also on point. The fish tasted fresh and the sauces and other ingedients in the dishes really blended very well together. Overall I'd say The House is worth a visit if you can. Make reservations a few days or more in advance to ensure access or you can just go (before 9:30), put your name and cell# with them and then go knock back a few cocktails at the adjacent bars...they'll call you when they're ready for you.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Best dish hands down, the miso black cod, it's like butter... delishhhh, very tasty!
Small place, but great ambiance, and very cozy. Will go back anytime!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

What's not to like? Wonderful food, gracious staff and service. It was a little hard to return there as a new widow, but the warmth of the people really helped.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We made a reservation and were seated on time. If you don't have a reservation forget getting in. It took awhile to get a waiter and drinks. I still would like my cold beer served in a cold glass not hot right out of the dishwasher. We ordered the octopus salad and could not find more than 2 pieces of octopus. I think it was octopus the pieces were so small I couldn't tell The lettuce was fresh. The rest of the meal was very average. The wait staff was overwhelmed and rushed. The seating was cramped and loud. I was very disappointed. I would not return it was very overrated.

Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

The capitalized letters in my title do not do this restaurant justice. I had the last of one of their daily specials: Yellowtail (cooked medium) with mussels in a delightful curry sauce.

I have never encountered so many fantastic food sensations at once. I usually eat my food very quickly, but I had to slow myself down in order to enjoy each bite. That was the best fish I have had in a long, long time.

My co-workers ordered the Sea Bass and everyone had great things to say about the dish. Each of us had an awesome dinning experience, and rated The House as one of our top meals ever.

I would suggest calling ahead for reservations, because this restaurant is crowded even during the week. If you're planning to visit SF, this restaurant is a must.

**Food Allergy Note: if you are dinning with anyone that has a nut allergy, be sure to inquire whether the dish has traces of nuts, or could be cross-contaminated.