“The Little World Series Trattoria”

Pazzia Caffe and Trattoria
Ranked #379 of 5,839 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Cafe
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: SoMa
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My buddy and I arrived soaking wet, having walked up Third Street from AT&T Park after game 7 of the 2012 NLCS. I remembered seeing a favorable review of this restaurant on SF's PBS station, and decided to duck in out of the rain and try it. It was late on a Monday evening, yet we were greeted most graciously, helped with our coats, and treated to a great time by owner Massimo Ballerini and his small staff. We warmed up and celebrated the Giants' win with hearty bowls of tortellini and penne with mushroom cream sauce, a satisfying glass of Super-Tuscan Sangiovese/Merlot, tiramisu, and grappa to finish. The trattoria is tiny and minimally decorated; disco music and florescent lights from the open kitchen create an informal, convivial atmosphere, perfect for the occasion. It's a great little place with an owner who really cares about his customers.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

unpretentious, friendly and lovely food. shared a pizza and a pasta dish. reasonable cost except for wine. Why is wine so expensive in california? Its made here!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

For many years I used to order a shot of Amaretto di Sarono with my Tiramisu until today.

I was referred by a friend of mine to check out Pazzia Caffe and Trattoria so I made a reservation.

When I arrived a few minutes before the agreed time, a queue of people were standing outside what looked like a tiny place, all tables packed and with a clear view on the activity of the open kitchen I decided to wait.

A friendly waitress came outside calling a party and when she came back second time I mentioned I had made a reservation but was a bit early. I was seated, the waitress made a few recommendations and very quickly we agreed on starters and main course.

All I can say is that this is a restaurant worth checking out. The burratta was superb, and since I wanted to try both the pasta as well as their Agnello, the waitress offered me a half size fettucini, which was prepared to perfection. The Agnello was just wonderful. To finish my dinner I ordered a home made Tiramisu and asked for an Amaretto. The waitress informed me that they had run out of that but that I should try the Frangelico. Given the experience so far I had no reasons to question the recommendation. From now on I will order Frangelico if the restaurant carries this since it is a much softer liqueur resulting in a finer balance between the taste of the Tiramisu and the liqueur. Amaretto is more pronounced and ends up dominating.

This is one of these places that one can easily walk by if you walk down 3rd street but what an opportunity missed if you do.

An amazing Italian restaurant that I strongly recommend !

1  Thank DesiLF
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is my family's favorite SF haunt because the food is consistently delicious and the service is always fast and friendly. Massimo (the owner) is always friendly; as are his beautiful wait staff (all women)! We recommend the lasagne and diavolo pizza! This is a wonderful place to take your entire family. As others have said, it is unpretentious, authentic Italian food! BTW, this restaurant was featured on Check Please Bay Area...my husband is on the episode chatting with Massimo! :o)

Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

We went to the piazza on our firstnight in SF. It is small and unpretentious, which i liked. The food arrived very quickly and was really good. I had a beet salad and a pizza, both delicious. Service was great. And the bill for 2 came to 40 dollars. The owner loves to flirt with the waitresses and all the ladies unaccompanied by men in the restaurant.