“Absolutely worth the wait”

Mama's on Washington Square
Ranked #35 of 5,737 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Description: Established in 1951. The family of Mama and Papa Sanchez, serves up traditional and innovative breakfast dishes in "Little Italy", the famous North Beach District in San Francisco. Across the street from the beautiful Washington Square Park, Mama's legions of fans line up early and throughout the day. We use the freshest of local products, imported Italian meats to fill our fluffy omelettes, homemade jam, fresh baked breads, pastries and other delectable dishes. We invite you to try our little restaurant and become part of the Mama's Family.
Inverurie, United Kingdom
“Absolutely worth the wait”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Heard about this place before we travelled to SF. Twice we tried to eat here. First time queue was around 1.5 hrs, so we decided not to wait. Next time we planned better and arrived at 0745 hrs for an 0800 hrs opening, so only had a 15 min wait, however not everyone in the queue got in for the 0800 hrs opening, such is its popularity. Anyway, fantastic food, can definitely recommend their cranberry/orange/walnut french toast with fresh fruit....the most fantastic breakfast i've ever had.

Visited June 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
“Best Breakfast”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

So, you do have to be prepared to wait in line but if you plan for this it's not so bad. I went for lunch and got in line around 11:15am. I was seated about 1 hour and 15 minutes later. The restaurant is small with fewer than 20 tables. The food is phenomenal! I had the Californian omelette which had chunks of avocado and crispy bacon wrapped in monterey jack cheese and then wrapped in an egg omelette. They let me substitute regular toast for a slice of cranberry-orange walnut french toast which is the best french toast I have ever had. Perfectly seasoned crispy potatoes were on the side. I left with a big smile and thought the wait was worth it.

• Visited June 2014
Kalispell, Montana
“Love Love Love Mama's.”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We arrived at 7:20 on a Saturday morning, when Mama's opens at 8:00. We were the second group in line. I think many people plan to arrive by 7:30 and the line really starts to form by 7:35. If you arrive by 7:25, you will probably make it in the restaurant for the first sitting. We dashed across the street and grabbed a slab of focaccia while we were waiting for Mama's to open. The food is wonderful and the staff is very friendly. Our table ordered a shrimp benedict, cinnamon French toast, and mama's omelet. The cinnamon French toast had a wonderful cinnamon French toast flavor woven throughout and the shrimp benedict had avocado in it, which added a nice taste.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank MT_Melody
Menifee, California, United States
“Good Food”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We happened to luck out & when we went on a weekday in the morning there was only 1 couple in the line outside the place (there's a line that forms inside & also outside). This was recommended by a relative who had previously been here & I'm glad we were able to check it out & have some good breakfast. Apparently, the wait can be outrageous when it's a busy day. It is small inside, so be prepared to very close to the tables around you & the people standing inside.

We ordered the dungeness crab Benedict; which was only OK (not much seasoning/flavor). On a recommendation, the other dish we ordered was the Monte Cristo. Oh my.....how delicious this was!!!! This made up for the other part of the meal, and the homemade jam was AMAZING. All in all if there's a small wait I would go for it, but there would be no way I would wait more than 30 minutes to eat at this place. I am not sure how people line for 1-3 hours here!!!

• Visited December 2013
Orlando
“It was a great one time experience”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

The food was well prepared and I was satisfied with the variety of home made touches that could definitely be tasted, but the long line was not something I would look forward to doing when hungry. There are times when it is slow and if you are really curious wait for a shorter line. The waiters try to be friendly but with so much turnover expect the wait a long time only to be served quickly and out the door.

• Visited April 2014