“Worth the wait”

Ranked #35 of 5,737 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Description: Established in 1951. The family of Mama and Papa Sanchez, serves up traditional and innovative breakfast dishes in "Little Italy", the famous North Beach District in San Francisco. Across the street from the beautiful Washington Square Park, Mama's legions of fans line up early and throughout the day. We use the freshest of local products, imported Italian meats to fill our fluffy omelettes, homemade jam, fresh baked breads, pastries and other delectable dishes. We invite you to try our little restaurant and become part of the Mama's Family.
London, United Kingdom
“Worth the wait”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We had to queue for one hour to gain access to Mama's on a Friday morning for breakfast. This may have been exacerbated by it being school holidays. The service was extremely amiable. We shared the "taster" French toast, and the corned beef hash eggs benedict. Both really delicious and portions were large. The coffee was really good as well. Highly recommended.

1 Thank Fussy_People

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
“I was unfortunate!”
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

In fact, having breakfast at Mama's was on my list before landing in San Francisco. Unfortunately, the queue was long, about 20 person ahead of me waiting outside the restaurant which was fully occupied. I was there about 9:00 am.
After waiting for about 20 minutes with no progress, I decided to go ahead to the bay to have a cup of coffee there.
My advise: come earlier!

1 Thank AmmarHadi
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Long wait, but delicious French Toast!”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We queued for about 70 minutes outside and maybe another 10 inside, but I knew that there would be a wait before going so I didn't mind.

I had the French Toast sampler platter and it was AMAZING. Portion size was generous, I didn't need to eat for the rest of the day

My tip would be that the 'chocolate' French toast is just French toast with some chocolate sauce on, so I would recommend trying the more interesting ones.

All of the food that I saw coming out to other tables looked great too.

Very pleased I went!

1 Thank Rosie W
Perth, Australia
“So not worth the wait!”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

One of the biggest regrets in San Fran was waiting almost two hours for a table. The food was ok but not great that I would wait nearly 2 hours again for. Biggest waste of time. I would maybe try it again for the pancakes to see if they're any good but definitely not for nearly two hours for eggs on toast With potatoes on the side.

CT
“Breakfast Worth The Wait”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We made a couple of day trips into San Francisco during our stay in the East Bay area. Our daughter had read about it and our DIL, living in the East Bay, knew where it was. Prior to heading in on the BART, we all had a pre breakfast snack to hold us over as we knew there would be a wait. The wait turned out to be half an hour outside and then another ~10 minutes inside. We ordered 6 plates of main dish items for 5 of us plus potatoes and bacon and drinks. We had to try the banana pancakes and ended up sharing them. The Monte Cristo I had was one of the best I have had in a long time. At the end, it was a hundred dollar bill for 5 of us and 6 breakfasts.

1 Thank hedo_traveler