“A must!”

Ranked #30 of 5,839 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Description: Established in 1951. The family of Mama and Papa Sanchez, serves up traditional and innovative breakfast dishes in "Little Italy", the famous North Beach District in San Francisco. Across the street from the beautiful Washington Square Park, Mama's legions of fans line up early and throughout the day. We use the freshest of local products, imported Italian meats to fill our fluffy omelettes, homemade jam, fresh baked breads, pastries and other delectable dishes. We invite you to try our little restaurant and become part of the Mama's Family.
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Decadently delicious breakfast with a charming atmosphere and delightful staff. This is a san Francisco institution and well worth the half-hour wait queuing outside.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,643)

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We had a good breakfast at Mama's. It's a simple restaurant...nothing fancy. The food is very good. It seems to be quite popular because lines seem to occur frequently.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

This place is to die for! Waited in line for 45 minutes on a Sunday morning. Well worth the wait. You wait in line outside to then wait in line inside. Once at the counter you place your order and pay. Very quickly you are then given a table. I do not know how they recall your order by your table...( no names or numbers are given). Service and food were excellent. Eggs Benedict are a little bit spicy and the pancakes were the fluffiest my boys have ever eaten. The entire eating experience was incredible. Will definitely go back when in San Francisco.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

We discovered this place while walking back to our hotel from climbing the steps to the Coit Tower. Both of us noticed the long line of folks waiting in line to be seated. I was so curious that I walked up to the couple at the head of the line and asked if the food was really that good. They had been waiting an hour and a half!!! They said they had been assured it was worth it. Since it was the weekend, we decided to wait and try them during the week. We arrive on Tuesday morning at 8:30 am. We still had a 40 minute wait!

But we waited, and boy were we rewarded for that wait! My husband ordered the French Toast Sampler plate. It looked just like the picture and was even better tasting than the picture promised. I had the Smoked Salmon Benedict. I realized how awesome both of our meals were when I realized we had eaten half our food and not talking. When we did take a breath long enough to speak, it was "This is SO good!" Or "This is fabulous!"

If you are anywhere in the vicinity of San Francisco, stop in, you will thank me for the recommendation.

1  Thank SrGrammyLinda
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Yes it can be a wait. We waited over one hour. I would suggest getting their 30 minutes early , the late. They use fresh fruits and make a home jam , that is at every table. They don't accept credit cards , so bring cash. We took the trolley up from fishermans wharf and got off about 2 blocks away. If you enjoy local places , this is the place. GREAT PANCAKES.