“Worth the wait :0)” 4 of 5 bubbles

Mama's on Washington Square
Ranked #38 of 5,627 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Description: Established in 1951. The family of Mama and Papa Sanchez, serves up traditional and innovative breakfast dishes in "Little Italy", the famous North Beach District in San Francisco. Across the street from the beautiful Washington Square Park, Mama's legions of fans line up early and throughout the day. We use the freshest of local products, imported Italian meats to fill our fluffy omelettes, homemade jam, fresh baked breads, pastries and other delectable dishes. We invite you to try our little restaurant and become part of the Mama's Family.
Derbyshire uk
“Worth the wait :0)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

We visited on Saturday morning getting up at 6.45am while on holiday is not my idea of fun ! But hey got be done, short walk for our hotel, got there at 7.20 about twenty people in front, it opens at 8am, we were in and out by 8.30, well worth it, great atmosphere and excellent choice of food, we had French toast with cinnamon and choc and bananas..truly amazing.. Didn't eat till evening it was that huge.. The queue when we came out went on for miles ! I think some guys would be there for two hours plus I'm not sure if I could of done that, so my advice just get up early and GO ....Enjoy

Visited February 2014
1 Thank HayleyGirardier

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
“Worth the wait for yummy brunch!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Okay, I didnt quite believe that even on a weekday like Monday, there would be a queue. Boy was I wrong and we reached there about noon, there was a slow moving queue outside Mama's. We contemplated to leave but since we made our way there (and there probably isnt decent food down at Fisherman's Wharf) we decided to queue. We wait for a good 45 mins outdoors and roughly another 20-30mins indoors for food to arrive.

Everyone looked happy after their meals and I know why, food was so good! We ordered the eggs benedict, french toast and pancakes. Eggs benedict is pretty good although one of the poached eggs were a little overdone but it was fine. The french toast and pancakes were really yummy! Not to mention the home-made fruit jam they make daily...so so good! Mama's used three ypes of home made bread for the seasonal french toast we ordered - it was real good.

Totally reccommend it! Would definitely head back there when I'm in San Fran.

Visited January 2014
Bury, England
“Good but be prepared to queue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Visited Mama's for breakfast. Expected to queue which ultimately lasted around 30 mins.

Plenty of reviews already and so all i'd add would be good food at average prices. Servive isn't bad with Mama's staff clearly able to deal with the crowds.

Only give it 4 stars as the smoothie was nothing special and seemed to major on ice.

Wouldn't go again as there are alternative places for breakfast without the hassle of getting served

“come here after 2:30 PM!! (+gnats and stinky street)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

Here's the secret: if you are in line by 3 PM, they let you in. at 2:40 there is hardly anyone outside. The wait is horribly long otherwise, and the street you wait in is stinky for some reason, which makes the wait not very pleasant. Inside, the place in cramped (about 10 tables only!) and is full of annoying gnats (probably attracted to the source of stink we smelled earlier). Half the tables are near the kitchen, so your view is of the dish-washer's armpits (yum =/).
As to the food: the pancakes were perfect, the french toast - not as good but still good.
I really wonder if the food is worth something if you don't wait in line, or if it's all just a psychological trick (cognitive dissonance). Anyhow, don't worry about it if you miss out - there are other great things you can do with your time in SF.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SupernovaSurvivor
British Columbia
“Had to line up but worth it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

We were there during the week so the line wasn't as long for us as for some other reviewers. I think we waited about half an hour. You line up at the counter to order and pay for your food, and they bring it out to your table when its ready. If you order from the regular menu the prices aren't bad, but the "special" menu is a little pricey. I had a vegetable omelette which was loaded with fresh vegetables and very tasty and cost around $10.
My hubby thought it was the best breakfast he had the whole time we were in SF and wanted to go back despite the lineup. But I don't really like to have to line up for breakfast so, while I'm glad we went the once, and would definitely recommend the place, I preferred to go elsewhere on the other days we were there.

• Visited February 2014