“Had to line up but worth it”

Mama's on Washington Square
Ranked #76 of 5,939 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Description: Established in 1951. The family of Mama and Papa Sanchez, serves up traditional and innovative breakfast dishes in "Little Italy", the famous North Beach District in San Francisco. Across the street from the beautiful Washington Square Park, Mama's legions of fans line up early and throughout the day. We use the freshest of local products, imported Italian meats to fill our fluffy omelettes, homemade jam, fresh baked breads, pastries and other delectable dishes. We invite you to try our little restaurant and become part of the Mama's Family.
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We were there during the week so the line wasn't as long for us as for some other reviewers. I think we waited about half an hour. You line up at the counter to order and pay for your food, and they bring it out to your table when its ready. If you order from the regular menu the prices aren't bad, but the "special" menu is a little pricey. I had a vegetable omelette which was loaded with fresh vegetables and very tasty and cost around $10.
My hubby thought it was the best breakfast he had the whole time we were in SF and wanted to go back despite the lineup. But I don't really like to have to line up for breakfast so, while I'm glad we went the once, and would definitely recommend the place, I preferred to go elsewhere on the other days we were there.

1  Thank Typh00n
Write a ReviewReviews (1,694)

Reviewed February 13, 2014

This was the perfect breakfast after a long flight from london! Fantastic Bloody Mary too! Highly recommend the breakfast but get there for opening or you will have to wait.

1  Thank Jessica L
Reviewed February 12, 2014

The location is small, but cute and the line gets long so get there early, but it is worth the wait. I was in San Francisco for a week and went here three times for breakfast it was that delicious. I waited in line every time and I didn't care. The line is long because there is minimal seating and seats are close together but the food tastes fresh, local, luxurious... heaven! I had omelets twice and then indulged in the french toast. The vegetarian omelette was delicious with the leeks and goat cheese. The chocolate cinnamon french toast with bananas and berries was the perfect amount of sweetness that you feel indulgent without feeling sick. But the breakfasts were satisfying to the point that I skipped lunch. Staff is incredibly friendly. Once you make it inside you wait in line and can watch the chefs work their magic. There is a beautiful display of fresh ingredients and after you pay for your order they direct you to a table and will wait on you once your order is ready. The fresh juice was delicious. I am not sure, but I heard some people commenting in line that they only take cash so just double check before you go in or make sure that you have some cash on you.

1  Thank Jaclyn1106
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We arrived at 8:15am on Sunday morning and were greeted with a line out the door of about 20 people. I had heard you had to get there early, but thought 15 minutes after they opened would guarantee minimal wait. WRONG! It was raining and cool, yet people were willingly to stand outside and wait. We almost left after about ten minutes of not much movement in the line. We decided to stick it out. It took about an hour from the time we arrived to get seated. The place is very small so not much inside waiting area. Inside, you order, pay and wait for a table to be cleared to sit down. Once seated, the service was quick and friendly. The food arrived within a reasonable amount of time. The presentation was amazing. Food was better. Make sure to order the French toast. Bottom line get there early and stick out the wait, you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

I had read many reviews on tripadvisor and was curious about this place, so the only thing I could do was find out for myself. They weren't kidding about the long wait (outside) to get in, but once you make it in it is so worth it. The selections are great and hard to make up one's mind. The employees make you feel right at home too. I had the French toast sampler and it was superb, the mimosa was just as tasty. My son had the Monte Cristo and he was blown away from it's deliciousness. The overall experience was awesome, with the great view of Little Italy and Washington Square around you, you tend to forget you're in line for over an hour.

1  Thank Rocky R