“Yum but clear your schedule!”

Mama's on Washington Square
Ranked #33 of 5,738 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Description: Established in 1951. The family of Mama and Papa Sanchez, serves up traditional and innovative breakfast dishes in "Little Italy", the famous North Beach District in San Francisco. Across the street from the beautiful Washington Square Park, Mama's legions of fans line up early and throughout the day. We use the freshest of local products, imported Italian meats to fill our fluffy omelettes, homemade jam, fresh baked breads, pastries and other delectable dishes. We invite you to try our little restaurant and become part of the Mama's Family.
San Francisco, California
“Yum but clear your schedule!”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

We had the eggs benedict and scramble and they were both excellent but the wait was over 2 hours.

Go very early! We got there at 9:15 and there was already a big line. We asked other veteran brunchers of Mama's and they said that the line starts an hour before opening time.

The food was worth an hour wait but not sure I'd say it was worth 2.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
“The greatest breakfast I have ever had!”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

First, I would like to say thank you to Mama's for such an amazing start to my San Francisco adventure and the best breakfast I have ever had!

To everyone heading this way, GO! Go to Mama's! You will definitely not be disappointed!! I will warn you, there is a long line. I recommend getting there at 7am - even though they open at 8! I got there at 7:45am and was in an hour and a half line. But I am not complaining. Anything worth having has a wait and it was well worth it! DON'T BE A SKEPTIC! It's the worst thing you can do! Line up and enjoy the experience!! Take a book even to make the time pass, but don't give up or make everything negative because you have to wait!!

I loved every moment! I walked in to smiling guests and employees, to the smell of the most amazing food ever and with a very hungry stomach! My partner and I had waited so long but were very happy to! I ordered the vegetarian eggs Benedict and a mimosa, Colin had classic pancakes with maple syrup and bacon! There is a lovely homely feel to Mama's but it is very much, get in, experience the amazing food and be on your way happy!

The first bite of my food gave me a "the hills are alive with the sound of music" feel, where all the nerves inside my body spark up and my taste buds are in complete heaven! If anyone knows me, they know I love breakfast! I could eat it for every meal of the day!! So you can imagine that I have eaten a lot of breakfasts in my time - but Mama's was and I think always will be THE BEST!

Go, wait and enjoy it!! It's well worth every second!

• Visited October 2013
“Worth the wait! Chocolate French toast was delicious!”
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Went here while on vacation. Heard about this place by word of mouth. So my mom and I checked it out. Took the cable car to Lombard street. Walked down to the bottom. Keep going down that hill until you get to the street Mamma's is on. It's right there. I had the chocolate French toast it comes with bananas and berries. I got strawberries. Yummy! I would definately go back here whenever I visit San Francisco again. Just be prepared to wait outside. The restaurant is open until 3pm daily.

NYC
“Wait for an hour and a half”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Don't go if you are in a rush to get somewhere. The wait was long because the place was tiny. Waiting was fun, we met a lovely couple in town for a wedding. It was my birthday and the husband's. We ended up sharing a table for five so we could get out of there but it was a birthday event! The food is delicious, great value and overall a pleasant experience. If you come with children bring entertainment or get someone to wait and show up later!

Visited October 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Superb breakfast!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Although the line for breakfast is about an hour long, you forget the wait while eating the delicious breakfast! Their fresh homemade jam is amazing! Cant wait to go back!

• Visited August 2013