Mama's on Washington Square
Ranked #35 of 5,737 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Description: Established in 1951. The family of Mama and Papa Sanchez, serves up traditional and innovative breakfast dishes in "Little Italy", the famous North Beach District in San Francisco. Across the street from the beautiful Washington Square Park, Mama's legions of fans line up early and throughout the day. We use the freshest of local products, imported Italian meats to fill our fluffy omelettes, homemade jam, fresh baked breads, pastries and other delectable dishes. We invite you to try our little restaurant and become part of the Mama's Family.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

On reccommendation from a colleague we headed here early, but not early enough! The que was huge and we abandoned the plan and scaled nearby Coit Tower with empty stomachs.

However, we got serious FOMO and decided to return a little earlier the following day and stick it out. I'm glad we did...hands down one of the best breakfasts going, so good that we ordered three between 2 of us!

Maybe tables outside in good weather might help with the queue issues?

• Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Irvine, California
“Every meal, every bite is perfect.”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I go there month on the first sunday with my BF, the food is delicious. I really don't know how to describe how good the food is so Im gonna skip it, you should just go n try it.
My favorite: Monte Cristo.
I always arrive there before7:20, so I can eat when its 8:00 when it opens. Sometimes you have to wait of more than an hour to eat if you go there after 8:00

• Visited May 2013
México, México
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious”
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Breakfast perfection achieved! The best in town! Can't miss it! It's completely worth the wait! Ask for Monte Cristo or Slim José burger.

Edgewood, Kentucky
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We arrived right at 8 am, when they opened, and the line was really long already. We were able to get inside and sat down an hour and 45 minutes later. I would recommend getting there around 730, so the wait will not be as long. However, the food was absolutely amazing! We got the shrimp scramble, Swedish dim mammon French toast, and their buttermilk pancakes. A the food was pure heaven and. Loved the homemade raspberry jam! To top it off the bloody Mary's were awesome! So in our opinion it was worth the wait.

Visited July 2013
Edmonton, Canada
“Embrace the Wait Or How to Kill Half a Day in the City”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I had breakfast at Mama's 8 years ago and there was a wait then too. I remembered having the most amazing omelet and wanted to share the experience with my daughter on a recent trip. Our wait was two hours almost to the minute. Was it worth it? I hate line ups, but the wait is a necessary evil to eat at this iconic cafe. I had the dungeness crab omelet with tomatoes and Havarti. It was really good, but not outstanding and the crab brought the tab to a hefty $21.95 for the dish. The sourdough toast with the homemade raspberry jam was off the charts. My daughter ordered a vegetarian Benedict and both her eggs arrived overcooked. The atmosphere was great though, and we were served by the very charming and hospitable, Nick, grandson to to the original owners. Everyone should experience this place at least once.

• Visited July 2013