“Breakfast heaven!!!!!”

Ranked #28 of 5,825 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Description: Established in 1951. The family of Mama and Papa Sanchez, serves up traditional and innovative breakfast dishes in "Little Italy", the famous North Beach District in San Francisco. Across the street from the beautiful Washington Square Park, Mama's legions of fans line up early and throughout the day. We use the freshest of local products, imported Italian meats to fill our fluffy omelettes, homemade jam, fresh baked breads, pastries and other delectable dishes. We invite you to try our little restaurant and become part of the Mama's Family.
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We read the reviews in Trip Advisor and decided to try it. We waited for over an hour to get a table and IT WAS WORTH THE WAIT!!! Just fabulous breads, jams, pancakes made from clouds and ooohhhh....the omelettes. There were only the 2 of us but we ordered 3 entrees. I am either proud or ashamed to say we ate every single bite! (We did not eat again until the next day!!)

1  Thank travelmomEarth

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was tempted to give Mama's only 4 stars only because of the long lines to get in. But the food is so incredibly fantastic I think it deserves five stars, regardless of the long wait. In fact, the wait is sort of part of the experience. If you've never been to Mama's, take some time and go...you will not be disappointed! Everything we had was fantastic...the omelets, the french toast, the fresh orange juice, the bread...everything was absolutely delicious. I didn't know food could be so good!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I was advised by a friend to go to Mama's and was told that it was well worth the hour long queue to get in. I'm not so sure. It was a lovely little place and the food was very good quality, but I can't believe I queued for around an hour and a half just to have breakfast! I felt rushed because I knew that there were people who were likely to have to wait even longer than me as the queue was lengthening. Definitely worth a visit, but I wouldn't queue so long again.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

First and foremost - do not be put off by the mass of hungry people queuing outside!
We went at about 9:20 in the morning and were waiting for almost two hours. I'd recommend that you either go early or be ready for the wait. Though don't eat before you go!

We tried a variety of their food - each one of us (4) had something different as a breakfast meal, then we also tried their pancakes. It was about $25 per person, but the food is worth it. You'll be spoiled for choice, but don't worry - the staff really know their stuff about the food and were more than willing to give their opinions on things to try.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

we waited for 2hrs to try Mama's - would I do it again, no! Was the food great - YES, very good, the best french toast I've ever eaten! I would go back but only if I had a 30min or less wait in line. Staff were great, nice location and easy to walk to from most areas in the city.