“Very little choice on the menu”
Review of Grand Cafe - CLOSED

Grand Cafe
Cuisines: French, Contemporary, Cafe
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Taylor
Transit: WE ARE LOCATED 2 BLOCKS FROM UNION SQUARE AND THE CLOSEST BART STATION "POWELL".
Montreal, Canada
“Very little choice on the menu”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was traveling on business, alone. As the neighborhood is not safe, I was expecting to have dinner at the Grand Cafe several times during the week. There are so few choices on the menu that I did not want to go back a second time.
This is very good, the atmosphere is great and the decor of the restaurant is worth a visit.

• Visited March 2013

Davis, California
“Great meal before theater”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had a wonderful meal at the Grand Cafe before seeing the Jersey Boys at the Curran Theatre. After a gin coattail which I think was called a White Lady, I started with moules meunieres (mussels, white wine, creme fraiche, fines herbs, grilled bread) and my sister had the soup special. The moules meunieres was the best I have ever had because the mussels were so good. The main course for me was the duck served with blood orange, wild rice cakes, broccoli rabe. I often order duck and I am often disappointed. This duck was perfect. My sister had steak frites (grilled flatiron, chard, wine sauce, green pepper butter and of course fries). For dessert chocolate creme brulee. I had a glass of Justin Cab, which was very good with the duck. The best part of all was our wonderful waiter Michael. He was just perfect -- even quickly brought the ice my sister requested for her hot tea (don't ask) without missing a beat. A great waiter really makes the meal perfect. I know this restaurant gets mixed reviews, but our meal was perfect meal.

• Visited March 2013
Houston, Texas
“Bar at the Grand Cafe - good service, relaxing ambiance”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

After walking all day, the bar at the Grand Cafe was a great place to relax with a glass of wine. Service was excellent. I had a burger that came with blue cheese. The burger was good - a little smallish and too much blue cheese but tasty and hot.

I was staying at the Monaco hotel and it was not immediately clear that the bar has a seperate (and less fussy) menu than the Grand Cafe.

• Visited February 2013
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Overpriced, opens late”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

OK other than that for a restaurant serving hotel guests. I did not see too many people go into that cafe since there are a lot of options around the hotel for food.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Limor M
Pleasanton, California
“Cold food, poor service”
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Went late evening. It was empty and waited 30 minutes for a burger. The burger would have tasted so good if it were hot. It was barely warm and the fries were cold.

Looks like it caters to bar atmosphere at night and doesn't want to bother with a small meal for a non-alcoholic.

Staff barely glanced at me or updated me why a burger takes 30 minutes to cook. Best part was the half apology for spilling water on me.

STAY AWAY!