“Excellent Taste and Service”

Trattoria Contadina
Reserve with OpenTable
Trattoria Contadina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #75 of 5,939 Restaurants in San Francisco
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Cross street: Union Street
Transit: Cable Car (Mason-Powell) line. Bus # 45, 41
Reviewed March 17, 2014

This is a restaurant that everyone visiting San Francisco should try. The service was just superb. The food size and taste were perfect. The seating is a little tight but this has been forgotten once the service started.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

We hopped on a cable car with the intention of hopping off after 5 minutes and eating in the first place we found. Another passenger overheard our conversation and suggested we try Trattoria Contadina on Mason St as it is possibly the best Italian in the neighbourhood. When the driver agreed with her, but said we'd be lucky to get a table, we thought, 'we have to try!' Try we did, turned up without a reservation and managed to get the last table they had. We had all spied the meatballs on other diners' tables as we walked through the restaurant, and all ended up ordering the same dish! I can only comment on that one dish, but oh my, it was divine. Best meatballs I've ever had, with perfect pasta. For dessert one of our group had ice-cream, which is probably the best I've ever tasted, anywhere. My husband was so impressed, he asked if he could return tomorrow with a cone and buy a scoop! Lovely atmosphere, great staff. I would love to go back ;-)

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Trattoria Contadina is a neighborhood gem owned and run by a young, friendly couple who know their guests and treat everyone as family. Recipes are both old favorites and originals with flair. They incorporate local produce and cheese and feature an extensive, reasonably priced wine list. Weekend brunch is also a huge hit!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

I visited the great city of San Fran twice last year once with my wife only and again with her and the kids. On a tour the guide recommended Trattoria Contadina and we gave it a try. I have to say this place was the eating highlight of our trip both times. The food is not only great but the staff was friendly, attentive , quick and informative. The food is over the top. Like gramma's kitchen. If you are in SF make sure this is on your list twice. It's awesome ! Take it from a New Jersey food lover this place will not disappoint.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

We enjoyed our visit to this little out of the way place in North Beach. The streets around this restaurant are pretty quiet, at least on a weekday night, but the restaurant was energetic, cozy and romantic. Only complaint was the place was a little too warm for some reason (we were sweating and it wasn't hot out). The pasta is well done with several worthwhile options on the menu and the bread, wine and dessert were each outstanding. Wine list has several exellent, affordable options. Service is very good (your water glass never gets anywhere near full before an attendant refills it for you, as a example), and watching flames leap from the open kitchen in back is something of a show. We're hopeless tourists always looking for anything approaching a local flavor, and this gave us a sense we were dining where locals go - I don't care whether that's the case or not, that sense was something that added to the dinner experience. I would recommend it and would love to go back!