“Great walking tour in San Fran”
Review of Roam Local

Roam Local
Ranked #118 of 303 Tours in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover the City by the Bay like a local... on foot! Roam Local walking tours are all approximately four miles each and all cover multiple neighborhoods, hidden stairways, breathtaking vistas, historic landmarks, and beautiful gardens. Four tours to choose from including: Telegraph Hill & the Old Waterfront, the Castro and Mission Loop, Chinatown, North Beach and Russian Hill, and the Four Peaks of Eureka Valley. Tour groups are never more than 6 people.
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Due to my compulsive planning for all of our family vacations, I was determined to find a small group walking tour for our short time in San Francisco. I had several requirements, including not starting too early since we were arriving very late the night before. I finally found Ryan with Roam Local through TA, and I am so glad for all the reviews. Our group of 4 included me, my husband, and our 23 and 18 year old sons. All of us had an amazing time. He is enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and provides a detailed tour with limited time. We did the Chinatown, Russian Hill and North Beach tour which is exactly what I wanted. We even went back that evening to see the lights on Bay Bridge from the Russian Hill spot Ryan pointed out. Ryan was also injured with a broken rib, but that did not stop him. He was very understanding with my 23 year old always lagging behind since he loves to take pics, and he answered all of our questions with knowledge and detail. He even showed us pictures from his Ipad which we thought was a nice extra bonus. We loved every minute of the tour and I would highly recommend Ryan and Roam Local. If all tour guides were this nice and knowledgeable I would be one happy traveler.

2  Thank tyspritey
in 11 reviews
"sights"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Ryan was the tour guide for Roam Local and it was his enthusiasm and knowledge that made our tour of Russian Hill, Chinatown and North Beach really special.

We have been on walking tours in almost every major city in the United States, and some foreign cities as well, and this was by far the best one!

We live in the Bay Area, so now that we know how great his tours are, we have spoken to Ryan about custom tailoring a tour for us for some visitors with special needs. Turns out that Ryan does provide various private tours including vehicle based tours.

I highly recommend you consider a walking tour with Roam Local as this is a great way to see, hear and experience San Francisco and certainly sites that you would not find on your own.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Ryan did an amazing job as our guide on this walking tour through Chinatown, Russian Hill and North Beach. Tough we've been to San Francisco several times already we saw new places, discovered new gems and learned a great deal about the places we visited. Ryan is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic so he has a lot of stories and facts to share with you along the way. The route for this tour is very well chosen and takes you to great places. It's an extraordinary tour with an excellent guide! If you want to explore San Francisco by foot in a small private group with a really nice guide then this is the tour for you! I can highly recommend it! We loved it and had a great time! Thanks, Ryan!

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Ryan did a great job showing us some hidden gems in the city. He was prompt, had an iPad to show historical photos, and broke up the uphill portions so we weren't too tired. The gardens were amazing, and his enthusiasm was infectious. Coit Tower was closed, unfortunately. Our only negative was that we kept having to ask for a bathroom stop, which we finally got. A local Starbucks didn't even have a public restroom! Ryan showed us a spot for great fish tacos, and they didn't disappoint. Highly recommend.

1  Thank JED53
See more reviews
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Amazing!!! Thanks Ryan for the awesome SF walking guide.
My husband and I did a food tour in Rome and enjoyed it so much and set the bar for guided tours.
This is not a food tour but the it is in the same level as the Rome your we did in terms of history, architecture and walk off the beaten path type of walking tour. I'm so elated that we did this to celebrate our anniversary.
We are local but did not know much of SF history so this is educational for us.
We went to the Cable car museum, Chinatown ( went inside a Chinese prayer/worship building, mind you I wouldn't have done this if we went here on our own), Ryan have us tips on the best Chinese restaurant and dim sum place. He points out landmarks that I see on my trips to SF but don't know anything about it. So amazing to know what its significance.
We then headed up to Russian hill and I was wowed by a park we went up to see an amazing panoramic view of the SF. The houses we're impressive and he explained the different designs of the house. I enjoyed this due to the fact that I traveled to Europe and I fascinated by the designs of the buildings and houses. Again, we walked in non tourist spot and I felt like I was a local there.
Then walked to North beach and he gave us info on some landmarks that most of the time we take for granted. He also gave us tips on where to eat the best pizza. We continued our tour back to Chinatown but on the way, Ryan pointed out a good bookstore place, bar and custom tailored store to check out.
This was one of the best things I've done locally and I can't thank Ryan enough for making our anniversary memorable. I've traveled outside the country and for the first time, I actually felt like there is really a lot to learn and enjoy locally. Thanks Ryan and keep up the good work.
This tour is like walking with a friend so you will enjoy it!
Tips: wear walking shoes, bring water and small snack and some bills in case you want to buy something in Chinatown.