“Chinatown, Russian Hill & North Beach Walking Tour”
Review of Roam Local

Roam Local
Ranked #141 of 294 Tours in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover the City by the Bay like a local... on foot! Roam Local walking tours are all approximately four miles each and all cover multiple neighborhoods, hidden stairways, breathtaking vistas, historic landmarks, and beautiful gardens. Four tours to choose from including: Telegraph Hill & the Old Waterfront, the Castro and Mission Loop, Chinatown, North Beach and Russian Hill, and the Four Peaks of Eureka Valley. Tour groups are never more than 6 people.
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Ryan did an amazing job as our guide on this walking tour through Chinatown, Russian Hill and North Beach. Tough we've been to San Francisco several times already we saw new places, discovered new gems and learned a great deal about the places we visited. Ryan is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic so he has a lot of stories and facts to share with you along the way. The route for this tour is very well chosen and takes you to great places. It's an extraordinary tour with an excellent guide! If you want to explore San Francisco by foot in a small private group with a really nice guide then this is the tour for you! I can highly recommend it! We loved it and had a great time! Thanks, Ryan!

There are newer reviews for Roam Local

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Ryan did a great job showing us some hidden gems in the city. He was prompt, had an iPad to show historical photos, and broke up the uphill portions so we weren't too tired. The gardens were amazing, and his enthusiasm was infectious. Coit Tower was closed, unfortunately. Our only negative was that we kept having to ask for a bathroom stop, which we finally got. A local Starbucks didn't even have a public restroom! Ryan showed us a spot for great fish tacos, and they didn't disappoint. Highly recommend.

1  Thank JED53
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Amazing!!! Thanks Ryan for the awesome SF walking guide.
My husband and I did a food tour in Rome and enjoyed it so much and set the bar for guided tours.
This is not a food tour but the it is in the same level as the Rome your we did in terms of history, architecture and walk off the beaten path type of walking tour. I'm so elated that we did this to celebrate our anniversary.
We are local but did not know much of SF history so this is educational for us.
We went to the Cable car museum, Chinatown ( went inside a Chinese prayer/worship building, mind you I wouldn't have done this if we went here on our own), Ryan have us tips on the best Chinese restaurant and dim sum place. He points out landmarks that I see on my trips to SF but don't know anything about it. So amazing to know what its significance.
We then headed up to Russian hill and I was wowed by a park we went up to see an amazing panoramic view of the SF. The houses we're impressive and he explained the different designs of the house. I enjoyed this due to the fact that I traveled to Europe and I fascinated by the designs of the buildings and houses. Again, we walked in non tourist spot and I felt like I was a local there.
Then walked to North beach and he gave us info on some landmarks that most of the time we take for granted. He also gave us tips on where to eat the best pizza. We continued our tour back to Chinatown but on the way, Ryan pointed out a good bookstore place, bar and custom tailored store to check out.
This was one of the best things I've done locally and I can't thank Ryan enough for making our anniversary memorable. I've traveled outside the country and for the first time, I actually felt like there is really a lot to learn and enjoy locally. Thanks Ryan and keep up the good work.
This tour is like walking with a friend so you will enjoy it!
Tips: wear walking shoes, bring water and small snack and some bills in case you want to buy something in Chinatown.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

A group of 5 mature ladies totally enjoyed Ryan's Roam local Chinatown/North Beach walking tour this past Saturday. His enthusiasm is infectious and his knowledge is boundless. As a native San Franciscan I saw things and places I didn't even know exsisted. I say-Do It! You will not be disappointed. He even directed us to a local watering hole at the end of the tour. I will definitely be booking another one of his tours.

Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Ryan has a boatload of great, helpful San Francisco knowledge that he is eager to share. Enthusiastic, easy-going, low-key, with iPad accompaniment. Well-planned and -paced. I took the medium-difficulty; I am an active but chubby 58-year-old and I had no problem. Yes, there are a lot of stairs and hills but it's broken up and it's worth it.