“Expensive mediocre food - Really noisy - Rushed eating”
Review of Benihana

Benihana
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #782 of 5,826 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Japantown
Cross street: Laguna /Webster
Reviewed December 29, 2011

It's fun to see you meal cooked in front of you with a little bit of a show, but the food itself isn't that great. Especially the chicken is dry and the cheap appetizer shrimp tasted much better than the expensive lobster.

We spent only 50 minutes in the restaurant, had an expensive but mediocre meal and I had a headache from all the noise.

My main problem with this place is the extreme amount of noise. Not just from the hundreds of customers talking but also from the cooking shows, screaming children, and singing waiters, which makes it hard to have a conversation.

Also the other people at our table decided to finish their meal immediately after the cooking was over, and asked for a box to take things home. Because the cook had just finished our plates were very full with our main order of meat and fish, which we wanted to enjoy eating. But because the others were ready for dessert we were rushed by the waitress to choose our complimentary dessert while we had just started eating.

The bill was also deposited way before we were done. At another restaurant I would have slowly enjoyed my meal while having a conversation with my dinner partner maybe ordering another glass of wine. But here nothing was enjoyable, they were ready to push us out to make place for new customers.

They give you a $30 meal certificate for your birthday, which seems great, but you still end up paying a lot of money when you go to have dinner there with someone else. They also like to charge you extra for little things you don't know about until the bill arrives.

We went there with two people, we did not order appetizers, we just ordered a teppanyaki meal each, one glass of wine and two waters and still ended up paying close to $50, and we had that $30 gift certificate.

Have been to this restaurant twice (for my birthday and my husband's) but we're not going here again. We can have much better food for a lot less money in a nice restaurant where we can take our time and actually have a conversation.

Reviewed November 8, 2011

The food itself is really good. The sushi rolls were excelent! The Chef did a nice job! The waitress and service were a bit slow.

1  Thank caito_cunha
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Benihana is located in the center of Japantown full of restaurants and unique stores that will thrill the inquiring mind. We decided to pop in for an entertaining lunch owing to their reputation for performing chefs amidst a fun dining atmosphere but opted to go with their lunch boat special for just $10. It was amazing: miso soup, salad, shrimp and vegetable tempura, sashimi, california roll, edamne, chicken teriyaki, rice and all washed down with lashings of hot green tea. I had to help my wife clean her decks!Attentive and friendly service were also thrown in all for one Hamilton apiece. And to cap it all off, there was none of that self important, acoustically drowning, nasal induced drivel that is so prevalent with the insular San Francisco dining-out types. Truly a welcome blessing of restraint, good food and friendly service.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

I always enjoy the Japanese resaturants where they prepare your meal right in front of you. I was here for lunch, which I find to be a pretty decent value. Going here for dinner I think tends to be a little pricy.
I got the steak, which was delicious - my wife got the chicken which was tasty as well. You probably have to plan for a little more time to dine at one of these places, but overall a fun and tasty experience.

Reviewed August 23, 2011

OK, I have to say I had a good time, but it was not because of the food. Go for the show and don't focus on the food which is fairly bland. Kids love the slicing and dicing...great for birthdays.