“Authentic food”

Neighborhood: Haight-Ashbury
Cross street: Haight/Waller
Transit: Bus No.-6,71&22 Muni Train-J,N,K,L,M&T
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The most important thing about any restaurant is the food and at this restaurant you will not be disappointed, it is authentic Indian. The atmosphere and the service was attentive and friendly, however there are a couple of things which require attention.

The Popadoms were served with only two types of chutney, which is slightly lazy in my opinion. The main course was served before we had finished our first Popadom. The cardinal sin of sins the main course was served on a COLD plate meaning after 10mins the remaining food was completely cold, how can something so simple be missed.

The problem seems to be that US Indian restaurants do not have much competition, in the UK the whole experience is more inventive and fluid. Overall the food is excellent but the owners need to pay attention to detail which makes a great restaurant.

Top tip: There seems to be a habit in San Francisco of allowing the front door to the restaurant to remain open at all times, why? No woman wants to eat with cold air rushing against her back, if you close the door people will still come inside.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We ate here our first night in San Francisco and both of us thought it was first-rate. Nothing disappointed. I love Indian food and can be critical but I left very satisfied.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Was there about 10 years ago and it was great and won a lot of awards. Just returned for the first time a few nights ago and it was laughably insipid, not even worth getting into detail about it.

Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

While on a trip to SF my girlfriend and I where looking for an Indian restaurant to dine at when visiting the Haight/Ashbury area. After reading reviews on here we decided to come to Indian Oven. The restaurant is quaint and lovely, with beautiful traditional, and racy, Indian murals. I ordered the chicken madras and was really disappointed, the sauce was thin and watery. The chicken was bland and tasted like overcooked, plain boiled chicken. No flavor at all! When I complained they took it back and added some hot green chilies and dried red pepper flakes to it, but all it did was add a little heat to the tasteless sauce. I even added some terribly needed salt to it and it did nothing. My girlfriend loved her food, so it must be a hit and a miss. I was the miss. I would not return, I've had better Indian meals at terrible looking hole-in-the-walls.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

We came upon this place by accident while looking for a parking space and were surprised to see it is Zagat rated, which they tout on the menu and in the window. Don't know why, though, cuz the food tastes like every other Indian restaurant and the atmosphere is not unique. Don't get me wrong -- the food was good. The lamb bamiryan and chicken tikka kebab was great. The kebab is like an Indian fajita; wrapped it with naan Joint iis noisy, though, as the kitchen, dishwasher, and bus station all in one room. Service is bit lackadaisical.