“Great Indian food in a cosy restaurant”
Review of Indian Oven

Neighborhood: Haight-Ashbury
Cross street: Haight/Waller
Transit: Bus No.-6,71&22 Muni Train-J,N,K,L,M&T
Reviewed April 14, 2012

There was lots of choice on the menu, the staff were very friendly and it's awesome that the kitchen is open so you can see the cooking taking place. I found the the flavours a little different from the ones that I am used to from eating curry in england, but still really enjoyed the meal. Love the paintings on the wall

There are newer reviews for Indian Oven

Reviewed December 11, 2011

Another restaurant I tend to go to often. Love the FOOD, some of the best Indian I have ever had here in the states. The meats are always a good choice along with any of the nan -- one of my favorite is the pine-nut and goat cheese, truly delicious.

The staff is always warm and welcoming, very helpful when needed. I love to talk out of town guest here as it really debunks a number of impressions about bad Indian food.

Reviewed June 23, 2011

This restaurant was recommended to me by my physical therapist at CPMC so, after my session today, I met a friend, who lives in the area, for lunch. I was impressed with the setting, quite lovely, clean, paintings depicting Indian ladies and scenes. The menu was quite extensive though a bit expensive.

Since it was 2PM, there was only one other small group dining. My friend and I shared a very good calamari pakora, saag aloo - a delicious spinch and potato dish, and lamb jalfrezi - this was supposed to be lamb with mixed vegetables but I found this disappointing as the only vegetables I noted were onions and red peppers. I was not especially impressed with their garlic naan. Papadam was served with the meal, along with an assortment of condiments.

We had a nice bottle of Rabbit Ridge Central Coast estate Zinfandel, reasonbly priced at $36. There were other reasonable wines on their wine list, both foreign and domestic.

Service was good but, of course, there was only one other table occupied besides ours.

All in all, for lunch, I think I much prefer the buffet at Indian Clay Oven on Clement Street, far more reasonably priced, many choices, nice setting.

Reviewed June 1, 2011

Stayed at the Casa Loma Hotel up the street and found this little treasure. A bit pricey but totally worth it!!

Reviewed November 8, 2010

My wife and I were visiting from out of town, and we'd never been here before, but the place was Zagat-rated, so we figured we'd give it a try. We'd spent all of a cool, misty day walking all over the Haight and the Lower Haight, so when dinnertime rolled around we were ready for some good hot food.

Indian Oven did not disappoint. Others here have complained about the naan, but our garlic naan was quite delicious. The assorted appetizers (samosas and pakoras) were good, but a particular standout was the pappadum, crispy and flavorful. In our entrees, the saag was silky and rich, and the chana masala was flavored with an unusual (to me, anyhow) blend of spices--lots of cinnamon, maybe? Whatever it was, I loved it. Even the rice was good, perfectly cooked and delicately flavored with cloves, cumin seeds, and cardamom pods.

We flew home out of San Jose that night, and when we got to a gas station in San Jose to refuel our rental car, I realized I had left my credit card at Indian Oven. I called them, and the nice man on the phone gave me their e-mail address and said if I would e-mail my address to them, they would snail-mail my card back to me. I thanked him profusely and sent my address as soon as I got home, and they sent me my card right away! A wonderful, if belated, end to my Indian Oven experience.

Oh, and they have Kingfisher on draft! Not to be missed.