“Above average, and what you should expect and more.”
Review of 4505 Burgers & BBQ

4505 Burgers & BBQ
Ranked #277 of 5,712 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
California
“Above average, and what you should expect and more.”
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I find myself, when I look for a type of food, looking for the atmosphere it should have. This place is classic barbecue joint. Complete with brick oven, small counter, and people that know what their doing. No flash, no over the top production, just a down home barbecue shack.
I tried it for the first time today and I have to say, of the three I've tried in the city, this one has made it to the top of the list. My taste in barbecue has spanned from one side of this country to the other (South Carolina, Georgia, North Carolina, Nevada, Tennessee, and California) so I know a thing or two.
I came in decided on the sampler plate which came with hot links, sliced beef, ribs, and I decided on a side of potato salad (oh and you can't forget the bread). I asked for a mixture of the sauces, both hot and mild, that way I could get a mid-range evaluation. The sauce was a good smokey red type, very good and thick. The sliced beef was the highlight for me, not too dry, and not burned, perfect. The links were lacking just a bit for me, I'm used to a smoked hot link, these were far from that but not bad at all. The ribs had a good smoke to them, not tough, not dry, just right. And the potato salad was southern excellence in my opinion. So head over try the place out and give it a shot.

• Polish first
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“one of the best in the City.”
Reviewed July 29, 2008

one of the best in the City.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor Member
“Hidden treasure”
Reviewed January 6, 2005

You won't find this place in any of the tourist magazines, but this is the best "down home" barbecue in San Francisco. We got a coupon from Chowbaby.com on ebay, so that's how we found out about Brother-in-Law's.

Don't let the location (you might want to go before dark) and the small building fool you - this place has excellent barbecue. We have lived in Alabama and Florida, so I wasn't expecting this West Coast BBQ to be as good as our Southern BBQ - but I was pleasantly surprised.

If you go, try the "short ribs" and don't expect much from the baked beans (straight from the can) or the peach cobbler. Also, there are only 2 tables inside, so go with a small group or plan on taking it back home/to the hotel...