“Grill at Hayes Street”
Review of Hayes Street Grill

Hayes Street Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Hayes Street Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #504 of 5,777 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Hayes Valley
Cross street: Franklin Street
Transit: Bart Civic Center stop MUNI Van Ness and Hayes 21 Hayes bus in front of restaurant ...............
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My wife and I had hoped for a better place. The Grill came recommended by the concierge at the Inn at the Opera. Service was okay and decor was fine and so was the food, but the overal experience for us was just so so.

1  Thank roy50holland
There are newer reviews for Hayes Street Grill

Reviewed June 15, 2013

The moment you enter, you know you want to stay. Everything is so fresh! Melt in your mouth seafood. Casual elegance. A great place to relax with friends.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have been eating at Hayes Street Grill almost from the day it opened in 1979. There are many other excellent fish grills and seafood restaurants in San Francisco (obviously) and many of them are great as well. But this one is very special. It is quite a bit less touristy, a little more real and inviting, and (in my opinion) serves a higher quality of fish. Have you ever been to a restaurant repeatedly, month after month after month, and find yourself still going back because you know you won't be disappointed? This is that kind of restaurant. It is so dependably great, my mouth waters just thinking about my next meal there. The secret is simplicity and the best ingredients. The basic menu is simple grilled fish, all wild and as locally caught as possible. This is served with your choice of several sauces, although I always choose the beurre blanc. If grilled fish is not your thing, there are always a variety of other fish and seafood options, usually including some kind of paella, bouillabaise or sauteed fish option, as well as different fish cooked in a variety of other methods. There's always one or two meat options on the menu as well. Almost better than the entrees are the appetizers, which are always original and incredibly fresh. The prompt, friendly, efficient service is on a par with the food. I know this sounds like an advertisement by the restaurant itself, but that's how much I love this place. Did I mention that it's incredibly convenient to the Civic Center, including the Opera House and Symphony Hall? They are both right across the street. And the rest of Hayes Street is worth exploring as well.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

First time, last time. Crummy food, rude service. Was looking forward to a nice dinner with friends to celebrate a birthday before a show. The room was so warm that we sweltered; requests to turn on the overhead fan were met with shrugs, "I can't reach it", and "it doesn't work". Yellow Jack was very dry, not fresh. When the waiter came to clear and saw my dinner virtually untouched, he suggested that I "take it home to give to my cat". I asked him to take it off the bill, he stalked off, returning some time later to wordlessly slap the amended bill on the table and walk away. Decent food, a comfortable environment, and pleasant waitstaff is what brings customers back. Hayes Street Grill epic failed on all counts.

4  Thank Paula F
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The fish is superb here!!! Never have had a bad meal here!!!! We always eat here whenever we are in town. The dessert was wonderful too!