“The roasted crab is off the hook”
Review of Crustacean

Crustacean
Ranked #174 of 5,712 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Asian, Seafood, Vietnamese
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Nob Hill
“The roasted crab is off the hook”
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

So my girldfriend and i went to grab dinner last night but my first impression was bad. I almost walked out because the host,this big russian dude well @ least i think he was, was on the phone on a personal phone call. He was talking about a party he was going to and that he was gonna be the DJ and he didnt even put the phone down to greet us. It really ticked me almost walked out . Finally when he finished his calk he decided to adress me. we finally got to see the restaurant was closed so we got a good seat next to window and the rest of the service is good I can't knock the other waitersand the food is really good too I were the road to crab loved it the garlic noodles of the and a couple appetizers cant remember which ones but they were great as well.

• Korean first
“trust me, you can't go wrong with the roasted crab !!!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is by far the best crab I've had in my life. My husband and I both ordered the roasted crab and we are still dreaming about the succulent flavors today. For our appetizer, we shared fried salt and pepper calamari which was good but it was a bit too chewy for my taste.

We also ordered some cocktails at the bar and for fans of sweet drinks, I recommend the ohio punch. It was mixed with dark rum, pineapple and orange juice and topped with amaretto.

Eating the crab was a messy task so they offer a bib...thank goodness! we didn't order any sides but the crab was superb. Nice size and good flavor, you couldn't ask for anything else. I've been to crab boils in Maryland and Seattle and they only seem to use old bay but this was soaked in butter, pepper, and garlic. they cost $40 each.

As for the décor, it was pretty dated which is why I'm giving them a 4. The seating was also cramped and I could hear everyone's conversations. The waitresses were average, they only asked for your order and that's about it. Lastly, it doesn't seem like you have to dress up for this place, it was very casual when I went.

London
“Dated venue but the crab makes amends”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The restaurant really needs to re-furbish. The dim lighting cannot hide the fact that its looking a bit dated and old. On the other hand the garlic butter crab is amazing and shaken beef was pretty good. Not the cheapest but go if its your first time in SF.

Visited September 2012
Salida, Co. USA
“Got three stars for the People Watching...”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

A friend wanted crab, apparently this is the place many locals go for that, who knows.
The two of us showed up on a Saturday night, with no reservations, which could explain being sat in the corridor leading from the entrance to the larger dining areas. While there I saw another cute set of couples out on a date, they two were sat in the corridor, theirs was a less fun seat in that they had to all sit looking at the wall ? Come On ?!!?
I must say that the crowds appeared to be having fun, perhaps on expense accounts, birthdays, whatever.
My buddy did get the crab, ching down forty some odd dollars for that and a side dish of garlic noodles, another dish they're famous for. I was pinching pennies so I got a Spring Roll off the started plate and a papaya salad with squid.
Dick's garlic noodles were nothing to write home about, not enough garlic, and they could have done more with spices. His crab was fine, not Killer, just fine.
My Buddha Roll possibly had been rolled up and stored in the frig days prior, same for the squid, and these aren't dishes new to me. The papaya was good.
Waiter was a bit aloof, I'm thinking "it's a saturday night and this putz only orders something off the starter plates portion of the menu" attitude. Oh well...
The other thing I did notice, and again, I'm fortunate to be able to afford pretty much anything, is their pricing. Admittedly this could be SFO, but it seems excessive to have your main plates, in a Chinese type restaurant, be in the range of $27 to $45, or is that just me ???
So if you decide to go don't be surprised with the costs, enjoy. But if you're on a bit of a budget due to spending too much up in the wine country, then don't bother, the food is good, but not worth what they're charging.
All the Best, Salida1048

Sacramento, California
“Little angels sprinkled dust on the Crab”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I don't even feel right writing a review about this restaurant because it is my all time favorite place. I have been going here for some years now and there is no other place I would rather eat in SF. I get the same thing every time and I recommend you get the dish they are known for and if you want to be adventurous wait for your second visit. The thing to order is the Garlic Roasted Crab and the Garlic Noodles. I have a routine and a few little secrets I will share that will surely make your visit an awesome one:

1) If you are eating with a companion, order one crab and two noodles to start. This way the crab will stay hot. Let the waiter know when you order what your plans are and they will have the second crab coming around the corner as you take your last bite of the first. *If you are alone, they will heat up the crab if you ask. I usually do this at the half way point. Reheating does not dry it out at all. It tastes just as good as when it first came out.

2) Drink lots of water during and after the meal. There is so much sodium (although it does not taste salty) you will have a headache the next day from dehydration.

3) Ask for lemons with the hot towels they bring you to clean your hands with at the end of the meal. It helps get rid of the garlic smell.

4) Leftovers are great micro waved. If you have left over crab crack it while you are at the restaurant and it is still warm. Throw it in the bowl with any leftover noodles. To reheat, wet a paper towel to cover the bowl of noodles and crab. Few minutes should do it.

Enjoy!!!!