“Hard to enjoy the meal with the noise level”

Absinthe Brasserie & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Absinthe Brasserie & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #163 of 5,769 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Hayes Valley
Cross street: Gough
Reviewed December 19, 2013

The food was very good as was the service but the decible level of noise pretty much eliminated the possibility of any conversation over dinner. It's not just me - I sat at a table with two twenty somethings and they were bummed out. The noise level overshadowed the chance to enjoy our meal. There are too many fabulous restaurants in SF to endure that distraction.

There are newer reviews for Absinthe Brasserie & Bar

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Visited Absinthe before attending San Francisco Ballet's 'Nutcracker' last week. Plenty of kids attending, but waitstaff was excellent, and patient with my friend's young son as he ordered. He was treated with respect, and was served per his wishes--a great job by Absinthe. Dinner, wine & dessert was totally amazing for all of us.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

We went to Absinthe before a play however we misjudged the start time. The staff at Absinthe helped us out, saved our meal until the play was over and sat us at the same table we had prior to the play start. All in all a wonderful evening. Food, staff and the play were great.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We went to Absinthe before the symphony and the staff is very conscious of making sure you get to your event on time. We had a reservation which was a must on the night we went as there were four major productions going on in the neighborhood.
We were seated immediately in the back which was a tad quiete, than near the bar which was deafening on a popular Saturday night.
Our waitperson was attentive in the beginning but as the evening progressed the service digressed. I had a bent fork and the dinner chilled a bit before I was able to get a serviceable replacement.
The food was delicious. I had a yummy salad with apples, grapes, and pecans which was dressed with a light muscat dressing. My entree was the filet, done to perfection. I abstained from desert
but my friend had a whimsical chocolate/fig thing which was very much enjoyed.
We were out in time to get in the car, go to the parking lot, and be seated in two shakes of a lamb's tail!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

This was my birthday dinner, and after we were headed to the opera. The soup I had was delicious, and the tuna pretty darn good while not quite as refined as I like. For dessert we ordered the caramelized corn genoise. We not-so-subtly added that it was my birthday (the waiter had to make a point of letting us KNOW that, too, which I thought was inconsiderate and unnecessary) because I get rather giddy about my birthdays. At 57 I think that's allowed. The plate did have "Happy Birthday" written on it, but that's also when he made the comment about my blatant comment about the day and implied it wasn't going to be a free dessert (unnecessary as I had expecting to pay for it). Lo and behold, my husband found a HAIR in that dessert! Really. Being who he is he just discarded it. I would have called the waiter over! From then on I was a bit soured on things.

I wrote to Absinthe via Facebook about it, and they didn't respond. If they had I might have left that discouraging and distressing hair out of my review.

I have a feeling Absinthe recognizes that we aren't part of the wealthy elite, as I felt the waiter was a wee bit condescending. Perhaps I'm overly sensitive. I'm hoping so!

I'm not sure I can return. That hair really soured me on things there.

2  Thank PATTY M