“Thep Phanom Date Night!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: Haight-Ashbury
San Francisco, California
“Thep Phanom Date Night!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Ambiance

Thep Phanom is a local restaurant specializing in Thai cuisine. I grew up eating their food. I remember my parents taking me here as a child and I always loved it. Walking in as an adult it was just like I remembered: fully decked out, no inch left undecorated. There were golden elephant statues, gorgeous tapestries, and cleverly-folded cloth napkins waiting for you as you sat down.

Cuisine

Tom Kha Gai

We ordered the Tom Kha Gai, or sliced chicken in coconut soup, to split. I had never tried coconut soup before, but I'm glad I did! The milky consistancy had a distinct lemon flavoring that almost made you pucker and made it a delight to eat. The flavor complemented the sliced chicken. Also, I really liked using the ladle. It's just fun!

Ped Sawan + Rice

I ordered the Ped Sawan, which is a marinated boneless duck in honey sauce that came with rice. Perhaps I should rephrase. It came with the cutest presentation of rice EVER! The handle sticking out the top of the rice belongs to a oar-like paddle, for you to ladle out the tiny carb packets onto your plate.

Lo and behold, my delicious Ped Sawan. A layering of sweet honey sauce which was drizzled over the marinated duck. The duck itself came on a bed of broccoli and cherry tomatoes. I couldn't dream up a better combination of Thai ingredients. The hearty duck was complimented not only with sweet honey but also guilt-free, antioxidant-rich broccoli and juicy cherry tomatoes. Perfection.

Kaeng Karee Gai

Nick ordered the delicious Kaeng Karee Gai, or yellow curry chicken with onion and potato. This dish made us laugh because they really didn't skimp on the potatoes! The potato in this curry came in halves or quarters, not tiny little slices. The curry itself was full of flavor, and had a great kick to it without making you tear up.

Overall Experience

Thep Phanom surprisingly rose to the high expectations often set by a warm childhood memory. The food was a delicious adventure, as was the ambiance. The friendly and prompt service complimented the meal to make for a great dining experience. The only thing that would make it better would be if they still handed out chocolate mints with the check at the end of the meal - specifically the flat little rectangles dressed in green foil. Nevertheless, if you're looking for a great neighborhood Thai experience, I highly recommend Thep Phanom!

• Visited May 2013

Oakland, California
“Best Thai in San Francisco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Thep Phanom is one of the most beautuful restaurants I have evern seen. Last time we really treated ourselves. We chose Chicen Sate for appetizer, Tom Kea Pak for soup, Som Tun for salad, Weeping Lady and Pad Kee for main course.

I live over the Bay, so we do not get there too often, but when we do we walk out smiling!

• Visited December 2011
Malmo, Sweden
“So-so thai”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Personally, I was lucky to order the dish of the night (dancing shrimp), but the rest of the party rated their food choice from "good" to "too salty" and "bland".
Service was friendly and value was generally good, but a thai place with ambition delivering an under-par pad thai can not be rated with more than "average"

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mexico City, Mexico
“Great Thai Food, Reasonable Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was some fantastic Thai food. I had a duck curry dish that was fantastic. Duck is tough to get right, and it was spot on, as was the curry which had lots of flavor without being a full on assault of the taste buds. The menu is numbered and pretty long in classic Thai style, but the preparation is on the fine dining level, though prices are decidedly reasonable. We happened to be there for happy hour and tried a bunch of terrific appetizers. likewise, their wine selection was limited but good, with wines that complement the food, not just a bunch of good wine that maybe isn't so great combined with peanuts and curry. All the waiters are dressed in traditional thai garb which is a little weird, but all in all a terrific dining experience. Well off the radar, the place filled quickly with locals, always a sign of quality. Would recommend to people who do or do not live in SF, especially if they will be haning out in the Haight/Castro/Mission area.

• Visited July 2012
Rockport, Massachusetts
“What a hidden treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Food was great and service was unbelievable . Great Thai food if you are in the area stop in . It won't disappoint

Visited June 2012