“Fabulous!”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Hayes Valley
Cross street: Oak St.
Transit: BART: Civic Center station; Muni Metro: Van Ness; Muni Market Street Trolley 'F' Line: Gough St.; Muni Bus Stop: 6,7,66,71
Portland, Maine USA
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

I have just finished my meal here at Paul K's and feel inspired to review this restaurant here and now. Without any hesitation, it is 5's across the board. Appetizers: meatloaf, crab wontons, and tatot tot fondue. Dinner; ravioli, pork chop, and fries chicken. Everything was delicious, nicely presented, and more than ample portions.

Apps were $8-12, entrees were $18-24. Great value.

We stumbled accross this place accidentally, and I'm thankful we did.

San Francisco, California
“Sensational Seafood Chowder”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

The seafood chowder is an appetizer not to be missed. Being from New England, I am very particular about this item. However, this was one of the best chowders that I have ever had. It was a white, creamy base, just like the New England clam chowder. The difference with this product versus the New England chowder is that it not only has clams, but shrimp, scallops, and perhaps other items. It was great!

Next, I had the pan roasted Alaskan halibut, yukon potatoes, green olives and salsa verde. It was a good meal but I will give the edge to the East coast as far as the halibut is concerned.

I ended the meal with mixed salad greens, pistachio, herbs, goat cheese and lemon dressing. This was very good. I'll use the analogy of a sandwich - the outside of the sandwich was more impressive to me than the contents inside. Overall, it was a very good meal.

• Visited April 2012
Exeter, United Kingdom
“They charged us twice!”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We ate brunch here before an opera matinee and the meal was fine. However, when my credit card bill arrived, this restaurant had charged us twice - not the same amount, but similar - £29.39.
I contacted Amex who were very helpful, I wouldn't have to pay the extra (incorrect) charge and on investigating, Amex told me that the second charge had gone through less than a minute after the first one. (My husband, who paid, remembered that the waiter took the credit card up to the desk instead of processing it at the table).
Amex said that they would contact Paul Kavouksorian on my behalf, but, five weeks later, he still hadn't provided the necessary information to support the charge - hardly surprising!
I waited a little longer to post this review just in case Paul K tried to redeem himself and until I had checked with Amex that the matter was 'closed'. I guess that the amount is so small that it's not worth further investigation.
So, be warned if you visit this restaurant and always check your credit card statements!

Visited October 2011
Seattle, Washington
“Mmmm, delicious!”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I loved everything I ordered at Paul K. I am not typically a fan of lamb but based on the preparation (pomegranate glazed riblets with garlic yogurt) I had to try it. It was WONDERFUL. I also ordered the lamb shank based on the waiters' recommendation even though i really didn't want another lamb dish. I had to go with it though because he was so adamant that I wouldn't be disppointed and also mentioned it was special because they don't typically serve it. Boy was he right! Another winner!

Aside from the entree I also tried their elderflower soda and had a deconstructed tiramisu for dessert. My friend had the pistachio sundae for dessert and I was really jealous after I had a bite of it. I also had a latte to go with dessert which was great too.

You can't go wrong here. Our bill was just over $100 after we each had a soft drink, appetizer, entree, dessert, and a coffee drink. Such a steal for a great meal! Go here!

• Visited December 2011
New York City, New York
“Great Brunch!”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Had brunch there on Saturday. By far one of the best Eggs Benedict we'd ever had. Salmon only, but amazing still.
Surprisingly empty since we both loved what we ordered.
The maple glazed bacon in the Fry Up was superb.