“Sensational Seafood Chowder”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Hayes Valley
Cross street: Oak St.
Transit: BART: Civic Center station; Muni Metro: Van Ness; Muni Market Street Trolley 'F' Line: Gough St.; Muni Bus Stop: 6,7,66,71
Reviewed April 12, 2012

The seafood chowder is an appetizer not to be missed. Being from New England, I am very particular about this item. However, this was one of the best chowders that I have ever had. It was a white, creamy base, just like the New England clam chowder. The difference with this product versus the New England chowder is that it not only has clams, but shrimp, scallops, and perhaps other items. It was great!

Next, I had the pan roasted Alaskan halibut, yukon potatoes, green olives and salsa verde. It was a good meal but I will give the edge to the East coast as far as the halibut is concerned.

I ended the meal with mixed salad greens, pistachio, herbs, goat cheese and lemon dressing. This was very good. I'll use the analogy of a sandwich - the outside of the sandwich was more impressive to me than the contents inside. Overall, it was a very good meal.

There are newer reviews for Paul K Restaurant

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We ate brunch here before an opera matinee and the meal was fine. However, when my credit card bill arrived, this restaurant had charged us twice - not the same amount, but similar - £29.39.
I contacted Amex who were very helpful, I wouldn't have to pay the extra (incorrect) charge and on investigating, Amex told me that the second charge had gone through less than a minute after the first one. (My husband, who paid, remembered that the waiter took the credit card up to the desk instead of processing it at the table).
Amex said that they would contact Paul Kavouksorian on my behalf, but, five weeks later, he still hadn't provided the necessary information to support the charge - hardly surprising!
I waited a little longer to post this review just in case Paul K tried to redeem himself and until I had checked with Amex that the matter was 'closed'. I guess that the amount is so small that it's not worth further investigation.
So, be warned if you visit this restaurant and always check your credit card statements!

Reviewed January 19, 2012

I loved everything I ordered at Paul K. I am not typically a fan of lamb but based on the preparation (pomegranate glazed riblets with garlic yogurt) I had to try it. It was WONDERFUL. I also ordered the lamb shank based on the waiters' recommendation even though i really didn't want another lamb dish. I had to go with it though because he was so adamant that I wouldn't be disppointed and also mentioned it was special because they don't typically serve it. Boy was he right! Another winner!

Aside from the entree I also tried their elderflower soda and had a deconstructed tiramisu for dessert. My friend had the pistachio sundae for dessert and I was really jealous after I had a bite of it. I also had a latte to go with dessert which was great too.

You can't go wrong here. Our bill was just over $100 after we each had a soft drink, appetizer, entree, dessert, and a coffee drink. Such a steal for a great meal! Go here!

Reviewed November 12, 2011

Had brunch there on Saturday. By far one of the best Eggs Benedict we'd ever had. Salmon only, but amazing still.
Surprisingly empty since we both loved what we ordered.
The maple glazed bacon in the Fry Up was superb.

Reviewed November 10, 2011

We stopped in here to eat dinner after attending a performance at the San Francisco Opera, which is just a few blocks away. It's a smallish place, one room, but tastefully fitted out to feel larger. Gratefully, there was no music; after three and a half hours of "Carmen" a little dinner conversation is quite enough. The menu has a Mediterranean flair, is sufficiently extensive to cover most tastes, and each item is served up very artfully; the open kitchen is nearby and you can see how it's done if you like. They also have a full bar, and a very pleasing selection of exotic draught beers. Our vegetarian mezze was a very tasty selection of items, and the house-made hummus and warm flatbread was an excellent peasant's meal in itself. Each of our entrées (pumpkin risotto, Atlantic salmon, beef tenderloin) was superbly prepared. We were too full for dessert, though a nearby patron assured us of its virtues. The service was perfect -- intelligent, attentive, but never hovering. A very fine dinner experience, all round.