“A true pearl - excellent”
Review of Tsunami

Tsunami
Reserve with OpenTable
Tsunami is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,087 of 5,775 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Divisadero Street
Description: Tsunami is like a wave of the hip urbane. Dim lights, house music, a good looking wait staff flavor the cozy sushi and sake bar-flanked dining room. Tsunami offers the seas' freshest bounty paired with one of the largest, most sophisticated sake selections found on the west coast. The bar also offers an array of high end spirits from Gin to Great Japanese single malts. Tsunami bar creates an amazing list of cocktails that combine both modern & classic cock-tailing. Corkage is a sake & wine retail shop connected to Tsunami where you can find 100's of bottles to choose from either to take home or open for your dinner with a $10 corkage fee at the restaurant. One of the great draws next to the incredible fresh authentic sushi, is the late night food offering till 12 midnight weekdays & 1am weekends.
Reviewed January 6, 2013

You open the door and find yourself in a young, casual, crowded and relaxed place. You better make a reservation. The first time I asked myself if it really will be my Sushi Place (do they really have the competence?). Then I visited this Restaurant several times and got more and more addicted… Their signature Maki-Rolls and the Sashimi are more than excellent and the ingredients – especially the fish – are always very fresh. I preferred most the “Papa San” and the “Volcano” Roll. Compared to many other Sushi-Restaurants I visited in the U.S. and Europe the Sushi at the Tsunami tasted always exciting but never boring. To me it is this very rare “I cannot stop to enjoy anymore” kind of Sushi – it switches off your natural stop-eating reflex. The service and the Sushi-masters were very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable – you can feel that they are a Team and know what they do. And they do it with a professional kind of passion. Yes it is not cheap – but I am looking for a special experience – not for a cheap Restaurant. Therefore the price was always more than worth it. And there is another outstanding fact – the Corkage wine-store just beside the Tsunami Restaurant which belongs to the same company as the Tsunami. Over there I found the most extensive and best Sake-selection ever. I can highly recommend the “Arabashiri” (first run, cooled and unpasteurized) Sake. You buy it at the store, bring it to the Restaurant, pay a corkage fee of 10 Dollars and are in heaven. I also found some of my favorite European wines. To me, the corkage and the Tsunami are a total work of art.

There are newer reviews for Tsunami

Reviewed November 27, 2012

We went on a living social voucher and thank goodness, because the bill racked up fast and we weren't exactly stuffed. But the sushi, even though not cut like in Japan, was heavenly. The sea urchin was an experience. The seaweed salad can be found at your local Asian grocery store. Service a bit pretentious, but whatever.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I've had some amazing meals at Tsuname over several years, and some very memorable nights. The fish is always fresh, the saki menu is astounding (and the staff is knowledgeable and happy to answer questions), and the location is great. Highly recommended.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

I live part time in Tokyo. This reasaurant fooled me into thinking I was back in Japan. The food is authentic and excellent. It's a very casual place, service is OK, but it's the excellent sashimi that will bring you back.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 28, 2009

decent sushi, nice space, late night menu is a plus

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook