“Great place, still not convinced I've tried the best BBQ though.”
Review of Memphis Minnie's

Memphis Minnie's
Ranked #636 of 5,823 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Neighborhood: Haight-Ashbury
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

No doubt about it I loved this place. We are over from England on honeymoon and being an avid fan of Man v Food I was desperate to try BBQ whilst over in the states. I know San Fran probably isn't the best place for it but trip advisor guided me here! I ordered the Minnie's taster where you can choose 3 meats and 2 sides (for us to share). I'd been dying to try brisket (never had it), ribs and pulled pork in the states so that's what I went for! For sides I got mac and cheese and tangy slaw. You also got a corn muffin (cornbread?) on the side. Mac and cheese and slaw was brilliant and I loved the corn bread. Pulled pork in all honesty was pretty average, brisket tasted really good but a little dry and the ribs were not fall off the bone. They were tasty but you kinda had to chew them off the bone. I love my condiments and was in heaven as they have 4 bottles of sauce in your table which were all great. The meat in all honesty was all a little dry so the sauces were very welcome. Maybe I was expecting too much from BBQ (although I know from man v food that some juicy brisket and melt in the mouth ribs must exist?!) but as the title suggests maybe I'm destined not to have the best BBQ on this trip. I feel I'm coming across a bit harsh as I really loved it and gave it 4 stars quite rightly. Lovely service and decor too.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

How could meat be this good? I was invited to a Dishcrawl Lower Haight event while visiting San Francisco. This event included visiting four different restaurants in the Lower Haight area of SF and Memphis Minnie’s was one of the stops. We were treated to three different sliders: smoked pork, beef brisket, and pastrami. The meats were succulent and flavorful. The flavor was greatly enhanced by the signature sauces hanging out on the table. Pastrami is only available on Wednesdays. The pastrami was a gift from the heavens which had gone through some sort of ten day process to produce one of the most magnificent displays of meaty heavenliness that I had tasted in a long time.

The food was so good … so very very good.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I'm from North Carolina, originally from Tennessee, and I have a daughter in Austin, Texas. I've eaten barbecue for a long time, in a great many classic -- i.e., Southern -- places. I was amazed to find authentic wood-cooked barbecue in downtown San Francisco: Far too many places downhome have given up and switched to gas, but Bob Kantor cuts no corners. Even his side dishes are terrific. How he does such good greens without any meat in them is beyond me, but those and his mac and cheese and his sweet potato and pecan pies (all made in the place) give vegetarians something to eat while their friends chow down on absolutely first-rate brisket and ribs. Vince Staten, author of the book Real Barbecue, says this is the best barbecue in the state, but I think that's too modest a claim: It''s probably the best west of Texas. San Franciscans should count themselves lucky to have it right there on Haight Street.

1  Thank Porcophile
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Last time we were in San Fran our friend took us to Memphis Minnies so when he asked where we wanted to eat on our first night back in town we asked if it was still as good. And it was. Nothing flashy about this restaurant but it has great food!! You have to try it.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Second time at Minnie's. Had the brisket both times. I am from the midwest, we know how to Q and how to smoke. This is very good. Worth the wait. Sides are good too. Last time took extra brisket sandwich on the plane home. Smelled soooo good. Drove me nuts.