“Delicious food and good German beer”
Review of Suppenkuche

Suppenkuche
Ranked #425 of 5,860 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: German, Central European
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Hayes Valley
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Enjoyed the food and the beer at this restaurant. I had the trout and my husband had a pork chop and they were both delicious and served hot. The place is very popular and is crowded and quite loud, to the point that there were times when conversation with the other couple we were with was impossible. This was on a Wednesday evening too. If not for that I would have given it 5 stars.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Wow! This place serves beer out of crockpots and boots!!! The atmosphere is LOUD! We went on a Sunday evening around 8 pm. We sat at the same table as a group of 4 or 5. Sharing a table was fine, although somewhat uncomfortable at first. The table behind us enjoyed numerous 5L crockpots and boots filled with beer. I'm 100% German and my kiddo is convinced that our culture is filled with folks who love their beer. :)

The food was good. Loved the Schnitzel in Mushroom Sauce with Spatzle and my husband said the Braised Beef was tasty. My kiddo had the Potato Soup and I thought it had a really strong flavor.

Overall, it was a great experience and we had a bundle of laughs as we thought about the evening. It cost us about $11 to take a cab from Union Square to Suppenkuche. While we waited for our table, we walked up to Alamo Square to view the Painted Ladies.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Get the Cured Pork Chop. I have never had anything like it. Truly awesome! You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I ordered the potato soup and the meatball plate it was amazing and I cannot wait to take someone new there to try the food.

1  Thank Nikkicadmus
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I've lived in Germany and Austria and I'm a beer snob, so I can say without a doubt that this is authentic. The place is sparsely decorated, the tables and chairs are light wood, which is what you might see in Bavaria. We got there shortly after it opened and sat at the bar. The bar faces the restaurant, so we could see the diners and everything going on. The bartender, who has been working there for years, was very friendly and to those customers who didn't know about beer or German beer, was happy to help them with a choice. The food was fantastic. We ate every bite. At the end of our meal, we shared a Kraueterliquor with the bartender and he welcomed us to SF (it was my first time). We really enjoyed ourselves and it was a lovely first night in SF. Go here!

2  Thank raeumlich