“Awesome German food and bier”
Review of Suppenkuche

Suppenkuche
Ranked #429 of 5,834 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: German, Central European
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Hayes Valley
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I've lived in Germany and Austria and I'm a beer snob, so I can say without a doubt that this is authentic. The place is sparsely decorated, the tables and chairs are light wood, which is what you might see in Bavaria. We got there shortly after it opened and sat at the bar. The bar faces the restaurant, so we could see the diners and everything going on. The bartender, who has been working there for years, was very friendly and to those customers who didn't know about beer or German beer, was happy to help them with a choice. The food was fantastic. We ate every bite. At the end of our meal, we shared a Kraueterliquor with the bartender and he welcomed us to SF (it was my first time). We really enjoyed ourselves and it was a lovely first night in SF. Go here!

2  Thank raeumlich

Reviewed June 13, 2014

My husband found this place on the internet. We wanted German food, but didn't know where to go. Well, upon walking up to the door, we heard so much laughter, shouting and fun coming from the restaurant. We walked in and the place was packed. We knew we hit gold! The restaurant seats family style, so you may be sitting with people you've never met. It didn't bother us. We ordered a couple of German beers, which were delicious. My husband had three; I had one. So much to choose from, and I wanted one of everything. We started with pretzels and cheese, a great German appetizer. Delicious. I wanted potato pancakes, so I ordered the half chicken that came with two of them. OMG!!! The chicken was so, so good! Flavorful and juicy! The potato pancakes were to die for. I ordered a side of applesauce that was perfect with the pancakes. My hubby had weinerschnitzel that we loved! I gave him half of mine, and he shared his. ALL delicious! Despite the crowd, the service was great. Oh, the only item I didn't like was the red cabbage we ordered on the side, but that is subjective, and you may love it. I highly recommend Suppenkuche!

2  Thank birdie57
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Eacg person in our party ordered a different item and we all got to taste. You can not go wrong here no matter what you order,
Don't sit right by the door, because when the locals start their evening, there is a non stop river of people frequenting this place for the amazing variety of beers, each served in a different shaped glass (saw one served in a container shaped lke a Christmas stocking). The bread was authentic, don't ask how many calories in the stuff they make to spread on it, it is warm and satisfying and rye of some kind, fresh baked. My son's entree had the most beautiful peas I have seen in years. Thanks to my nephew for sharing his favorite GERMAN FOOD place in the city. (we got there by bus, which is a whole story of its own)

1  Thank HappyTraveler297
Reviewed May 29, 2014

My wife and I dined on Memorial Day at Suppenkuche. We're from Nashville and don't have authentic choices like this available so it was a real treat. What a find!

The big burly bartender looked like he would be more comfortable on a Harley but was a great host. Rusty treated everyone like he owned the restaurant and really cared about their dining experience. What an asset he was for Suppenkuche. He was personable and very helpful in outlining the menu and making great recommendations for food and wine/beer pairings. He introduced us to those dining around us and by the time we finished we were having dinner with friends.

We would recommend this restaurant to all ... whether you are timid about trying something you've never had or a bold adventurer.

1  Thank doctraveler001
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We absolutely loved this restaurant. Our family visited Germany in 2009, and this restaurant is absolutely authentically German. The food was freshly prepared and tasty. Our group had the Jagerschnitzel(pork loin with mushroom sauce), Falscher Hase (meatloaf) and Wild Boar sausage. These meals were all delicious, and just like the better restaurants that we visited in Bavaria. Great selection of German beer. Staff all spoke with heavy German accents, and wait staff were efficient. Wood tables and small bar packed two deep added to the authentic feel of the place. Arrive early as the wait tends to be 45 min or longer. We will definitely be returning, and bringing friends :)

1  Thank OldRockKnucklehead