“Get your Oktoberfest on”
Review of Suppenkuche

Suppenkuche
Ranked #234 of 5,939 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: German, Central European
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Hayes Valley
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We were not expecting to find a restaurant that served German food in SF. It definitely has a hipster vibe and it was very busy on the Thursday night we visited. Reservations are only for parties of 6 or more. The food was good - he had Wiener schnitzel and a dark stout. I had a chicken, ham, cheese and basil roll up with asparagus and mashed potato. The chicken was a little overlooked, but the asparagus was perfect.

You do share communal tables with other people and it is very loud. I would say this place is best for a large group of friends. It is hard to carry on a conversation at times.

The beer selection is great and I love the different beer steins.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Small venue. Always a wait. Came on a Monday night and sat right down. Enjoyed a HP and Paulaner Oktoberfest beer. Truffle mashed potatoes and lamb chops. Get the spartzl.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Cons:
-Insanely crowded. The Hostess seemed incredibly unprepared for the volume and nearly forgot us.
-The server suggested that I choose a more "ladylike" pint glass instead of a boot because they were low on them. The audacity! I hadn't even finished instagramming pictures of me and my boot before she was trying to take it away from me.

Pros:
+This place is FUN! Of course it's loud, but that's what you get when you combine large numbers of people drinking far too much beer at communal tables. Many people also took shots of digestifs at the end of their stay. It's not a great everyday bar or restaurant, but good for special occasions and for bringing visiting friends.
+The food was amazing! I had the juiciest, most flavorful venison of my life, and although many of the dishes were new to me, they did not disappoint.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Suppenkuche, a mainstay in the quaint Hayes Valley neighborhood, offers authentic German cuisine along with a wide selection of beer from the region. Expect modest to long waits for this hip yet authentic spot.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I am currently in the stages of planning another trip to SF next spring (2014) and I have crossed Suppenkuche off my list of places I want to have dinner when I come out to SF.

It started in 2009 when I found this place in a book we had of the city so we showed up around 6 on a Saturday night waited 30-45 mins for a table, not a problem walked around neighborhood. Got a table. Had dinner and it was simply fantastic. Go with the flow with the communal tables.

In 2010, we invited over friends of ours from Berkeley and I had a decent Weinerschnitzel however my Mother's Sauerbraten was a little salty but the rest of the meal is decent but not fantastic like we remembered.

Now it is May 2013 and we were in the city for a much longer time than anytime before so we give it one last shot. The beer as always is perfect. The special asparagus appetizer is nicely done, tastes good. Then the entree's Mom got Sauerbraten again as she like the red cabbage and spaetzle. Sauerbraten is salty but the sides are perfectly done. I get the special pork dish. The pork is saltier than the sauerbraten, fried, and mostly pieces of grizzle with not much actual meat. My sides were very good I had a dumpling and sauerkraut (not 100% sure on sauerkraut if that was the side I had). Either way the sides were very good and the meat was wicked salty. Dessert was good, getting apple strudel in May is asking for trouble because it is hard to get good apples in late spring and it turned out to be pretty tasty.

I really want to like this place and visit everytime I come to SF but I don't think I will return based on the average main courses. The beers are simply amazing but I can get a good drink with a good dinner at many other places. Like for example, Nopa.