“Great food and service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Suppenkuche
Ranked #469 of 5,627 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: German, European, Central European
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Hayes Valley
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

This is a nice neighborhood place with great food and service. We tried a couple of the daily specials and a couple of the regular menu items. Soft pretzels with cheese, potato soup with sausage, German ravioli in a mushroom sauce, wiener schnitzel and spatzel with cheese. It was all very good. They provide you with a wonderful brown bread also. We followed the servers recommendations for beer and wine to go with the meal. The service was very attentive and gave us recommendations on local things to do. It was great and we left very full. If you like German food and a friendly atmosphere that is not touristy, try it out.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank wanderkitty

San Diego, California
“Wundernar!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

I learned about this wonderful restaurant from either the Food Netword or the Cooking Channel, I cannot remember which. Boy, am I glad that I did. This was perhaps the best meal during my entire recent business trip. I and several of my colleagues enjoyed a wonderful dinner! While normally a saurbraten man when I dine at a German restaurant, the menu description of the meatloaf, plus the waiters recommendation of it, made me choose the later. Again, boy, am I glad that I did! It was moist and full of flavor, wrapped in bacon, with part of a hard-boiled egg in the middle of it, smothered in a delicious onion gravy. It was served with a side of mashed potatoes that were nothing to write home about, but still tasty. As my beverage, I ordered the dunkel dark beer mixed with lemon soda....refreshing and delicious. One of my colleagues ordered the spaetzle dish from the vegetarian section of the menu. Mixed with cheese and finely chopped veggies and served with a variety of picked veggies on the side, this dish was amazingly good! Thankfully, she could not finish it all, so she allowed me to sample...delicious! We shared the warm pretzle appetizer and absolultely loved it!

Service was good, though our waiter was a bit strange, but in a good way. Their prices were very reasonable given the quality of the food and the quantities provided.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank gregf71
Portland, Oregon
“Even better!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Suppenkuche is a must stop for us whenever we visit SF. The food is getting even better. We first started coming here shortly after they opened several years ago. The clientele is changing and the young millennial's have clearly discovered this spot and add a new vitality to the energy in the dining room.

It is all about high quality Bavarian food. The soup of the day (butternut squash) we started with was house made and excellent. We chose the salad selection and were treated to a variety of beets, carrots, and potato salad. The appetizer we chose was German ravioli filled with sausage. The pork schnitzel entree smothered in mushrooms was the essential comfort food. The side we request was red cabbage with cranberry that is unique and very much worth asking for. The selection of German beers on tap rounded out the meal. We finished with the very good Black Forest cake and much better than average coffee. Two of us share all dishes so we had a wide variety of tastes to share and left fully satisfied and not "stuffed" which tells us that the quality of the food was excellent and lower in empty calories. We are very glad to see this restaurant maintain its quality, and indeed get even better.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Drake972
San Francisco, California
“Fix on viner snitchel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Traveled Prague, Czeck Republis, Vienna and Salzburg Austria and fell in love with viner snitchel. the hunt was on in San Francisco and we found a great place to enjoy viner snitchel. I'm not a beer drinker but Supperkuche offers a big beer to satisfy your thirst.

Visited October 2012
San Francisco, California
“Perfect For Food Before The Ballet, Opera or Symphony!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We usually come here before going to the opera or ballet. You can park on the street for free in Hayes Valley, between this restaurant and the War Memorial Opera House, then walk to the restaurant for dinner when they open at 5pm, and walk to the Opera House, which is 4 city blocks away. The food here is the best Californiaized-German food in the bay area, and they have about 35 beers on tap, plus craft beers, and bottled beers. Get here by 4:30pm to line up for a table when they open, as they don't take reservations!

Visited April 2012