“Nice atmosphere, expensive drinks”
Review of Quince

Quince
Reserve with OpenTable
Quince is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #85 of 5,826 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: French, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Montgomery
Description: Situated in San Francisco's historic Jackson Square, Lindsay and Chef Michael Tusk's celebrated Quince Restaurant features an Italian and French inspired tasting menu that highlights the seasonal bounty of Northern California. Accompanying each menu is an innovative wine pairing and sophisticated cocktail program. Chef Michael Tusk was named "Best Chef: Pacific" by the James Beard Foundation in 2011. Quince was awarded its first Michelin star in 2010 and in April 2012 its second, the San Francisco Chronicle bestowed a fourth star to Quince. In 2016 Quince received its third Michelin star.
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We met friends here for drinks since our table wasn't quite ready next door at Cotogna (sister property). We were a group of 5 and were seated right away in the bar section. The atmosphere was wonderful and we were able to comfortably catch up without yelling. The drinks were great as was the service, but they sure where pricey. I know everything in San Francisco is pricey, but I was surprised by the bill!
Overall a nice treat, but due to the cost, I wouldn't be a regular there if I lived in San Fancisco, but I'd definitely go back for another round on my next visit!

1  Thank tikidream

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Personal and Attentive service, sophisticated and quality food, great selection of wines by the glass, attention to the smallest of details

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Quince as Italian is as dead as the Roman Empire. What started out as a couple making heartfelt pastas that sang with soul and emotion is now just a glorified Michelin ** star restaurant out for the bucks. We went there on a date about a week ago and did the Spring tasting menu (just 3 choices) at $130 for 5 courses. The first real course of tomatoes seem out of place as the presentation is so commonplace nowadays that the tomatoes had better blow you away...they were fine but not worthy of being the star ingredient by any measure. The pasta course with tribute to some Chinese lady was weird. I Google her and she is famous for Chinese food but unless her great great great great grandfather was Marco Polo...I didn't get the influence. And with a little caviar...a $30 supplement. The other pasta dish was a linguini sized pasta called Oro. If was paired with Honeydew melon...did my kid end up in the kitchen tonight? The combination was simply weird as the chewy al dente noodles competed with broken flesh of the fruit and made this one of the worst combo's ever. Worst yet was the main course of cod or beef...We hadn't noticed but the beef which was one of two courses was another $30 supplement...that is just outrageous when there was no luxury ingredient involved...it was not some A5 grade Japanese cut so why the big surcharge? The beef was not able to be identified as dry-aged for 38 days as their was no detectable umami in flavor or texture. Now the price fixe price is not $130 but $190 for 5 courses and that is a ripoff at $38 per course. With wine, cocktails, tax and tip...~$850 out the door. I used to adore the original place off Bush but now it is just a obvious attempt to milk customers who want a Michelin ** experience. Now it might as well be another wannabe place I could care less about. This place again tells me that we are at a top in show and less in go times and I'm truly worried about the state of our culinary consciousness. I'm saddened by such obvious sell outs. This place has completely lost the soul of why the chef couple got into the business in the first place...to make diners so happy to enjoy their personalized creations! I'm making food at home for a while so I can regain my respect for the joy of cooking.

4  Thank DineAboutWorld
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

From the moment we got there to the time we left, we had an amazing and unique experience. The food tasted even better than it looked! The chef was kind enough to send us an extra course of seven tiny desserts. We did the smaller tasting because we did not want to be there for four hours and it was superb! With a bottle of champagne and a few cocktails our bill was around $600. Worth every penny for a dining experience never to be forgotten.

2  Thank Jessie0212
Reviewed June 5, 2014

For us “destination diners,” the not-so-new trend towards high-priced ($200+ per person) tasting-menu-only restaurants is disturbing. Though we’ve had a few rewarding experiences (most notably Eleven Madison and Per Se in NYC), most have been outright disasters (Komi in DC, and most particularly and painfully Vetri in Philadelphia). Happily for us, Quince comes far closer to finding a niche in the former category.

Firstly, Quince may be among the quietest restaurants we found in San Francisco — really the only one where conversation among four diners could be held with raising one’s voice. The staff, though perhaps a bit aloof (not a crime in my book) was professional, knowledgeable, and accommodating. We dined with my San Franciscan cousin and her husband and the conversation was lively — lots of catching up to do — thus the meal passed quickly and quietly. My cousin summed it up best — “It was wonderful, but I can’t remember what I ate!” My experience exactly! What we learned from this experience is that tasting-menu restaurants are NOT for socializing, they are for talking about THE FOOD!

And the food at Quince is exciting!. From what I can remember, most of the eight courses were of subtle complexity and were clearly compositions of the chef, completely unique to Quince. That’s precisely the experience we were seeking — it’s unfortunate in that all this passed by at the periphery of our awareness!

Some might classify Quince as a bit pretentious and precious. I know where they’re coming from and I won’t dispute their perception, although I don’t share it. Quince is a not-to-be-missed experience in San Francisco, but go with a loved one and focus on the food!

Quince_SF, Manager at Quince, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear ProfRT,

Thank you for taking the time, effort, and attention to detail in writing these comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your dinner with friends and we provided an atmosphere to do so. I will be sure to share all your comments with the staff and we will continue to strive to provide a complete dinner experience.

The next time you are celebrating a special occasion or just joining us again for another memorable dining experience, we hope that you will think of us.

If there is anything that we can do for you in the future, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,