“Unbelievable experience”
Review of Rich Table

Rich Table
Reserve with OpenTable
Rich Table is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #82 of 5,939 Restaurants in San Francisco
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Hayes Valley
Cross street: Oak St
Description: RICH TABLE is the culinary vision of Chefs Evan and Sarah Rich. With over three decades of combined experience in San Francisco and New York high-end restaurants, the team brings with them a wealth of talent, knowledge of quality foods and wine, and connections with the best farms and purveyors. RICH TABLE is a place with no dress code, where the food speaks for itself. Evan and Sarah believe that eating out should be relaxed, fun and exciting. It should remind you of the good times you share with family while introducing you to new tastes in the company of friends. The staff at RICH TABLE will use their years of experience to provide food that is expertly prepared and served, while set in a surrounding that is modern, convivial, and comfortable. We can't wait to cook for you and have you at our table! Evan and Sarah Rich
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I heard about Rich Table all they way in Chicago, and the good things I heard did not do this place justice. This was one of the most flavorful meals I have ever had.
We started with the marinated olives that were fresh, a hint of citrus and full of flavor. Next was the roasted beets with goat cheese. The pine nuts in this dish added great texture.
I had Tajarin pasta with tomato braised squab, which was so good I refused to share with anyone!
We all shared the charcoal grilled chicken which was also outstanding.
We had no room for dessert so I can't give any opinions there.
I loved this meal so much I wanted to go back the next day, but we were heading to Napa. I can't recommend this Rich Table enough. Just make sure you plan ahead as it is a small restaurant and it's really hard to get a reservation here. Also, it's an open kitchen and I thought very warm in the small restaurant.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Small, crowded restaurant near but not in Hayes Valley. Nice energy and buzz. Food was not as good as expected. The "doughnuts" weren't. Very disappointing. Raclette as a dipping sauce for a "doughnut"? Didn't work. The sardine chips were spot on.
Very disappointing pork belly panzanella salad. Had a bite of friend's duck lasagne. It too missed the mark. Very knowledgable and friendly server. Food just didn't live up to the expectation.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Food was excellent - loved the halibutt, San dam, trout, peppers, burrata and chicken. Porcini mushrooms doughnuts were too filling. Service was friendly but a bit slow. Cocktails and wine list were excellent. Fun non-alcoholic drinks were available. Scene is casual and foodie. Did not stay for dessert and walked to Smitten a few blocks away for ice cream.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Wonderfully rustic, but slightly a casual vibe for me. A well thought out but small space (it doesn't feel crowded, and you people at tables definitely have some space to move around, and interact. In fact, we were with an old friend, incapable of decisions, and we went with the chef's tasting menu.

Beau Soleil, New Brunswick, Oysters with Crushed Wildflower mignonette (which was spectacular a migonette. Satisfying but really delicate.

Then a random assortment came -

a high concept pistachio amuse bouche custard with pine nuts. It was light, and airy, and called a "Dirty Hippy", which was interesting.

Dried Porcini Mushroom Doughnuts, which were delicious - savory, light, and perfectly conceived.

The sardine chips were awesome - even if you think you don't like sardine, you should venture to try these.

Scallop Chip, Pickled Green Strawberry (tangy), yogurt

Sea Urchin, Saltine Crackers, and Cherries - a fun low brow delivery of a great contrast of flavors.

The Roasted Beets with Sunflower and Wheatgrass were dazzling and I really enjoyed them... danced on the tongue type combo of flavors.

Tajarin, Douglas Fir, House Cultured Butter

The tagliatelle with duck, strawberry, and wild fennel was delicious. It is worthy to note that, throughout the spring, all the plates that included pickled strawberries, or "innovative" delivery of strawberry's, this was the first that accomplished it well, without it seeming as if they are trying too hard.

Richilini, Lamb, Eggplant, Peppers - fantastic.

Ginger Dashi Agnolotti Dressed with Spring

------- all these pastas were brought at once, and they were in appropriate portions to try all of them. They were just fantastic... so fresh, and rich, incredible. This was one of my favorite courses. Heck the whole thing....

Local Salmon, Smoked Tomatoes, Almond, Gribiche - this was astounding, and one of those rare treats for someone who knows how to cook at home. You know how it's usually better when you cook your own steak or salmon, because restaurants seem distracted and imperfect in gauging the temperature of their meat? Well, this is a crack team, obviously (as you'd expect), and the salmon was cooked better than any other piece of fish I have had in my life.... such a rare treat. The other people at the table concurred, and it seemed a consistent theme throughout the restaurant (the tables are close enough a slight eaves dropping may occur).

The Filet Mignon was also perfectly delivered, with mustard greens salsa verde, green plum. Superb.

The desserts were a combo of Calfiornia Creamsicle, and Mint Chocolate Cream, Milk Ice Cream, and Salted Chocolate. So decadent, but appropriately lighter in light of such a heavy dinner. This was a wonderful experience.... a friend invited us last minute. I am thrilled to see the theme at restaurants, allowing guests to cycle in and out. It means the quality should remain top notch, and I shall keep returning. Posting this I am realizing this is sort of a "place". I hadn't knowledge of it, but it was an unexpected treat.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Rich Table is one of three new San Francisco restaurants recommended by Wine Spectator in the June 2013 issue, as being casual fine dining; so we booked a table to try it out. It wasn't bad. If there were half points in the TripAdvisor rating we could have given it a 3.5. The short menu looked imaginative and the wine list is reasonably priced; though surprisingly lacking in Italian wines for what is essentially a new world Italian restaurant. Sadly the meal itself, when it arrived, was a little dull. The Burrata soft cheese starter was nice, mainly because the "burnt strawberry vinaigrette" complemented the cheese and cucumber well. It needed a starch so we ordered the Wild Fennel Levain to go with it and that worked. Both pasta dishes that followed were ok, but nothing more. There was a little too much vinegar in the sauce that came with the Bucatini and a little too much salt in the Pappardelle and both were a little light in the advertised meat for the sauces. But we finished them. We weren't in the mood for large secondi dishes so after the pasta we went straight to dessert. The Berry Crostata was yummy but accompanying a berry tart with yoghurt and plum sorbet seemed to be overdoing the tart flavours and I for one would have preferred a little chocolate to balance the fruit. The Buttermilk Panna Cotta (essentially a deconstructed fruit crumble) could have done with more fruit and more crumble but was fine.

In fact everything was fine. And maybe the score is a little harsh. As I said I wish there was a half way point between 3 and 4 on the TripAdvisor scale. But we were expecting more. In the end this is a perfectly decent local suburban restaurant. But it is not yet worth highlighting in one of the world's leading wine magazines and not worth going out of your way for if you are visiting San Francisco. But if you live locally, in the Hayes Valley neighbourhood of San Francisco, by all means give it a try. I am sure it will improve over time.

1  Thank TeaSpray