“Delightfully creative and innovative yumminess!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Craftsman and Wolves
Ranked #10 of 133 Bakeries in San Francisco
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Mission District
Description: Craftsman and Wolves is a contemporary pâtisserie and cafe located in San Francisco's vibrant Mission district. Under the direction of Chef William Werner, CAW offers an ever changing menu of breakfast pastries, cakes, confections, confitures, desserts, lunch, and other savory fare seven days a week. The name is a nod to the craftsman and the numerous challenges that one faces when pursuing their craft (the wolves). For William, Craftsman and Wolves is the pursuit of fifteen years' experience in restaurants and hotels on both the East and West Coast during which he has refined techniques for pastry and chocolate work, honed in on his presentation style, and expanded his palette of flavors.
Amersham
“Delightfully creative and innovative yumminess!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

We were introduced to C+W by our Aunt who is the Yoda of all things patisserie in the Bay Area! She's not wrong and we LOVED C+W!

We opted for a brunch consisting of:

Granola/Fruit/Yoghurt
Quiche and bean salad, pickled carrots (Deep, fluffy and gone in seconds!)
The Rebel Within Muffin (Spectacular taste and experience!)
The black sesame, coconut and kumquat bostock (Sublime!)
The chocolate croissant stack

and 2 cookies to go, which we ate on our flight back to London.

Go, eat and enjoy - highly recommended!

Visited December 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Falmouth, Massachusetts
“Oh my, wonderful food here and high tea...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

My cousin who knows all the best places to go in this city took me to this bakery two days in a row. The first time we just had wonderful cappuccino but today she had reserved high tea for us - you have to reserve this special treat. We each had a pot of the tea of our choice (I chose Formosa oolong) and the dear waiter brought over a multi-tiered tray of goodies that included sandwiches, tiny Madelines of a savory nature, and fromage blanc then scone, cake with clotted cream, yummy chocolates ... it was a great way to spend an afternoon. This spot also has sandwiches and the like and serves wine too. Decor is simple but if you want something to go with your coffee or tea and are in this area then come here. The whole street is changing and there's lots to try nearby.

Visited December 2013
Oakland, California
“Foie and Chocolate...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

I came here in July of 2012. It had only been open for two weeks, but they managed to put themselves on the map with their brilliant conceptual idea of a miniature deeply chocolate chocolate cake with a hidden piece of foie gras. That’s right, the sacred ingredient belonging to the long-time tradition of gavaged Geese (goodbye tradition and consumption in California, hello contraband from Nevada) that meets wonderfully satisfying chocolate. My dining companions and I managed to segue from the interesting jewelry-like display cold case, harboring many delights floating perfectly and freely lined up on a roll-out piece of slate, and seize the last one. Suck it, person behind me.

We wasted no time tucking into this cylindrical sphere that reminded me of a flourless cake slash brownie. One of my dining companions did not like the fact that it was cold and I disagree. I loved it. It’s just like coming straight out of the fridge at 2am, when no one is judging a gorda with a look of disagreement. I love the idea of a ganache filling playing against the salty-fat of the foie, the slightly crunchy cake exterior where convection meets batter with the extra crunch of toffee on top. One complaint, the photos lied. It was no chunk of foie, more like a few specks. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to taste the foie.

Nonetheless, just as Michel Bras gave us his coulant in the 80s, this vortex of delicious evil will have many imitators following in the near future, bringing to you The Devil Within, microwaved in 60-seconds version and with foie substitute. And on those days when I’m reminded that a 30-year-old gorda has limited options in the wading pool that is dating, and living in a state that bowed down to herbivores denying our primordial primate instincts to consume a product that occurs in nature, at least I know I have the comforting memory of The Devil Inside. It’s a nice addition to the future of the new Valencia St.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Upstate NY
“Great coffee, creative food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Try the rebel within, a savory muffin with a perfectly cooked soft boiled egg inside. The Thai scone is to die for!

Visited October 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Very good coffee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Just had the coffee here which was excellent, surprisingly.

The food looks to be very thoughtful and well presented...a small number of offerings, but less is more in this case. Worth a visit.

• Visited September 2013