“delicious & different”
Review of Plaj

Plaj
Reserve with OpenTable
Plaj is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #353 of 5,711 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cross street: Franklin Street
Phoenix, Arizona
“delicious & different”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

ambiance was lovely & cozy with furnishings a swedish modern style. food was delicious & portions were just right. service was fantastic.

Visited September 2012

Stewartsville, New Jersey
“Excellent Cuisine”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This restaurant is the Inn at the Opera Resort where we stayed for a week. We ate there twice. Scandinavian food is not something I would have thought to try but greatly enjoyed it. This is a European restaurant with smaller servings than you find at other restaurants. So do not come if you are really hungry and looking for lots of food. If however, you are looking for something different with gourmet food using a mixture of seasonings, textures and flavorings, this is the place for you. Our server was quite charming and explained the different foods and was very attentive.

• Visited October 2012
castro val
“more european than most”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I work near here, and always check out the menus of restaurants around civic center. My wife and I traveled to Spain (Barcelona and San Seabastian) in April, and I was quite taken by veal cheeks. Plaj (pronounced 'play') has braised ox cheeks, which is almost identical. My wife and I also had the charcuterie plate as well as a salad and dessert. Including cocktails and tip, the tab was $111.00. This space markets itself as scandanavian, but offers more. The food, service, and atmosphere were worthy of an establishment that would charge a lot more, yet they remained affordable. Since they are in the SF Opera/Ballet/Symphony Civic Center zone, you really should make reservations as soon as you know when you want to dine in the area.

• Visited September 2012
MaineUSA
“Good Place for Pre Performance Meal”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were guests of the hotel and were looking for a place for a pre opera meal. Our one mistake was not making a reservation as the place was full. Fortunately they were able to fit us in at the bar. They had an excellent Swedish rye bread basket. I had the Charcuteri which had a variety of cured meats that were excellent. My wife had a beef dish. As others have noted, the portions are not large, but that didn't pose a problem as we had a large lunch in Chinatown. Also it would avoid nodding off at the opera after a heavy meal!!

The bartender was very personable - though I noted that he had to refer to a book prior to mixing a gimlet!!

• Visited September 2012
Truckee, California, United States
“Great Experience”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed dinner at Plaj. I was not sure what to expect of Scandinavian Food, but our entire experience was fantastic. We shared the sashimi to start with, and i think that was my favorite part of the meal, I would defiantly recommend it! I wasn't sure what to order for dinner, so our server recommended the caraway smoked salmon, which I enjoyed very much. My husband had the ox cheek, which melted in your mouth. We liked the roasted beet puree so much we tried to copy it at home the next week. For desert we had the rhubarb lavender crumble, which was a perfect way to finish the meal. The portions are just right, sharing an appetizer and dessert left us feeling happily full, not stuffed. The atmosphere was inviting, with deep inviting leather sofas, perfect for relaxing in after a long day. The staff was friendly, and the food was phenomenal.

• Visited August 2012