“Fun and off the beaten track” 5 of 5 bubbles

Haunted SF: Ghosts in the City After Dark
Ranked #6 of 285 Tours in San Francisco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Free tours and funky, in depth history of SF’s coolest areas led by artist-guides. Understand the social movements and heroes who helped define San Francisco, with brilliant storytelling and a local's perspective.
Atlanta, Georgia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun and off the beaten track”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

Have been to San Francisco numerous times and love the city. Thought we knew our way around but this tour was fun and unique, introducing us to new interesting sites and history right under our noses that we had not explored before. The group was international and all younger than us (70+) but the walk was not strenuous. Our guide, Helen, was spirited, enthusiastic and well-versed in the history of the area. The group got to know each other and a lot of local history. We did feel abit like we were walking on the "wild side", celebrating together the stories and infamy of those who had walked these streets years ago. Finished up with a much greater appreciation of the history of the area. The group bonded together one last time with a meal at a fun restaurant. Would highly recommend and when we return we will do the Castro and Mission tour.

Visited July 2014
Wes L, Owner at Wild SF Walking Tours, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
So glad you were able to join us! Our tours always have a big mix of travelers of all ages and backgrounds, which make our groups a pleasure to meet and guide!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Truly Amazing!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

This tour was soooo AMAZING!!! I think I told J Jo that several times throughout the tour. To really see the value of what I'm saying...ya gotta know that typically, nothing holds my attention for very long especially things like tours or lectures. I was engaged the whole time with J Jo's thorough knowledge and enthusiasm about all that he was sharing with us. I know we'd been walking for quite some time, but even at the end...I didn't want it to end. I did the afternoon Castro/Mission tour. I WILL be doing the morning tour for the other areas as well. As a tourist, I never would have gotten around to seeing all of this without his guidance. The concept of their style of delivery is quirky, friendly, 'friendshippy' (I just made that word up). The way that he tied all the little pieces together throughout the day to weave a story of a portion of this city history was so easy to follow...and making it relevant to today and now. Honestly, I could go on forever, but I'll stop here...Oooh, wait a minute... I Iied. There is one more thing...When you meet the team, the tell you that the tour is FREE but donation based. It is true. At the end of the tour, the guide will ask for your donation. I am going to put myself out there right now and say....be prepared to offer your genero$ity with a whole heart, a giving spirit and no regrets. They are TOTALLY WORTH IT! You will be enriched by this tour, the people you meet who are in it along the way with you, the knowledge you gain, the humility you observe of your guides and how they show respect for each neighborhood & the people that live/work there that they take you through, the humour & knowledge you gain from your kind and well versed guides and just the totality of the experience. J Jo mentioned to us that he majored in Astro Physics and Jazz in College and recently graduated. He and his best friend started this business first doing tours on weekends only. Now he and his best friend have employees, and do this every single day. This is our blessing and their job...to enrich our lives, the guests of San Francisco. GO!!!

Visited August 2014
Melissa, thank you so much for the amazing review. Some travelers really "get it" with what we're doing here, and you're definitely one of them. Stay in touch, and let us know next time you're in San Francisco!
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Informative and Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

I learned a lot of things I did not know about SFO, saw some things off the beaten path. Little secrets and interesting fun facts. Did not particularly care for the soapbox moments and educatiional lectures (things they thought were important, and I needed to know) on their political agenda for Gay/ Lesbian rights, Asian experience in America (abuses and unsung achievements), and criticisms of American mainstream's treatment of these groups, in everything from achitecture to politics. I don't disagree, but didn't want to spend my time, on vacation, on a billed "wild" and fun tour, being a captive audience for the education. Kinda like being asked to stand for the national anthem before the game (not a problem!), but again, and again, and again, and again. Can we just enjoy the event already?

2 Thank SFOLover2014
Wes L, Owner at Wild SF Walking Tours, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
We're glad to hear you enjoyed our tours, with our fun facts and lesser known histories of San Francisco!

Wild SF leads socially-aware historical tours, and San Francisco's history is complex, colorful, and sometimes disappointingly closed-minded. It is our passion to take a stand for social justice and championing equality for all, through educational experiences that are presented in a fun, engaging and positive way.

There are plenty of mindless tourist activities out there, but Wild SF isn't one of them. A quick look through our website and biography makes that clear, and our goal is to leave travelers feeling inspired, educated and empowered. Oh, and full. (The group usually shares an amazing lunch together after the tour!)

Cheers,
Wes
Edmonton, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“unique”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

Passionate, articulate, entertaining and knowledgeable. A very unique type of tour. J JO engaged everyone and encouraged getting to know each other. Be aware of the tour topics, this is not your typical 'plastic menu' offering. A story and a 'message' at every corner.

1 Thank TBL_13
Wes L, Owner at Wild SF Walking Tours, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Thanks for the review! It's true, our tours are politically-aware, with an emphasis on social justice and education, as well as history, songs and fun. See you next time!
“Best thing we did in San Fran!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

Innovative and kooky walking tour lead by some outstanding individuals who genuinely love the city they represent. We learnt so many interesting facts and saw so many areas that we wouldn't have seen if we'd have tried to find our way round ourselves. The wild SF team offer two trips one of China town and north beach and the other of mission and Castro districts. We did the mission tour first and had such a good experience that we came back and did the second tour the very next day. The guides are enthusiastic and incredibly knowledgeable and really take the time to get to know the group. They also really care about their local community and strive to highlight and support local history, culture and business. And the best bit is that its free (although we guarantee you'll want to leave a generous tip). Thank you J-joe and Fischer for a fantastic introduction to the city. We'll be back!

Visited August 2014
So glad to hear you had an awesome time on the tour--thanks so much for taking the time to review and checking out both offerings. We'll have another route next time you're here!