“Highlight in SF!!”

Radical SF: Castro and Mission Districts
Ranked #6 of 300 Tours in San Francisco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Free tours and funky history of SF’s coolest areas led by artist-guides. Understand the social movements and heroes who helped define San Francisco, with brilliant storytelling and a local's perspective.
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This walking tour was definitely one of our highlights in San Francisco. I love walking tours in general, because they offer a different and very special way of discovering the city you are visiting. In comparison to the usual touristy hop-on hop-off busses they are always the better option. And this tour was a special one. The guide is so funny and has a great way to present his city. You get some information, you'd never get otherwise and it never gets boring. He created his own songs to underline what he's talking about and involves the group. I would absolutely recommend going on this tour. Thanks Wes!! (and I never called it Frisco anymore)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,408)

Reviewed June 28, 2013

My boyfriend and i decided to go to San fransico for a couple days, and have never been. We didnt really know what to do or where to go... Luckily j. Joe came in our hotel while we were having breakfast. His style is what caught our eye. He announced that he was doing a walking tour and anyone is more than welcome to join. The tour we did was to the Castro/mission and he was so informative about the history and the structures of the buidings. The great thing about this tour was that he was walking everywhere with us And would take us into shops Pretty much show us the local side of view instead of the tourist side. It was a lot of fun! He was really funny too and just had a great personality. Afterwards everyone on the tour even got lunch together! so that shows how by the end of the tour that everyone bonded really well! Definitely reccomend this tour!! All good vibes :)

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Now, I'm not a native of Fris...I mean San Francisco. Anywho I went into this tour like any other tourist. Minutes in, I found myself not only engaged by our guide (A Troubadour guru by the name of J Jo) but enthralled and fascinated by the sights and route taken. Our bard-like guide took us on a whimsical and weaving path through not only historic landmarks but alleys where brothels once stood, and beat poets drank, where fortune cookies are made (We got to try some fresh ones!), and where a barber moonlights as a beloved Erhu-playing icon in the community. Um..Did I mention our guide jammed with him?! Over all, the greatest part of my trip, and a highly recommended experience for tourists and long-time citizens who want an intimate look at their stomping ground, alike.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

How do you really get to know a city? Do you look at a map? Read its history? Climb a sky scraper and look at it for a really long time? No, you be with its people. For it's the people that make a place what it is. I was lucky enough to be a part of one of Jordon Jo's walking tours. I couldn't wipe the smile from my face the whole time. He transported us not just around the city, but into it through him. A talented public speaker, charming personality, gifted musician and frankly one of the most amazing people I've ever met. Everyone was having such a good time. Not only that, but even after the tour he invited us for a beer in the park, and to join him for some of his favourite asian cuisine (I'll let you discover what that is on your tour). So before we knew it, we were no longer tourists, we were friends, hanging in the park, a part of the city as we were now it's people too. Jordon, hats off to you bro - can't wait to meet again :)

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I've been doing walking tours all over Europe, and I was wondering what it would be like to view my own beautiful city through the eyes of a tourguide. Fortunately, for me, we got J.Jo with wild SF. Met at union square, took the "f market" tram to the Castro (which I imagine is empowering for tourists to see how easy it is get around), and got the inside scoop on a lot of places that most tourists don't usually see. After living here for 15 years, I thought this would be boring, but au contraire--J Jo had a lot of deep, background info (from research, family, living here...) that helped connect SF in a very personal way.

The group was pretty cool--people were from all over. A surprising number of us like Mexican food. It did involve a moderate amount of walking--but it was all managed quite well. I think even my mom could have handled this.

As for the tourguide--he's likable, personable, speaks clearly and with gentle, hip personality. We genuinely enjoyed our time with him and the group. I think if you're visiting from out of town, this is a nice alternative to seeing why we local people love san francisco as well as getting some history that is not just about the downtown area, the earthquake, gold rush, etc.