“~a sweet sf treat~”

Chinatown Underground
Ranked #6 of 298 Tours in San Francisco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Free tours and funky history of SF’s coolest areas led by artist-guides. Understand the social movements and heroes who helped define San Francisco, with brilliant storytelling and a local's perspective.
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Jay Jo led my tour and it was the coolest thing Ive done in sf thus far! We walked all around to see a very unique selection of sights and buildings from sf's history, and our tour guide carried a guitar and serenaded us! We met a handful of people that we have kept in touch with since and got a few souvenirs and snacks along our route! Truly a special tour!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,383)

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I went on a walking tour lead by Jay Jo with a group to Castro and Mission districts, which have a lot of history. It was really informative and light hearted too, making it fun. It got a great feel for the area. I would love to come back and do another tour to other areas. We also got recommendations of places to eat and how to get to other areas of the city after the tour. It's great it is donation based.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I went on a tour with wild Wes and had a spectacular time! Not only did I learn all kinds of obscure facts, Wes made the whole group sure ww were comfortable and created an environment where complete strangers felt like they were sharing something special together.

I learned stuff about the city I never could have learned from a book and from a perspective which was socially aware, humorous, and compassionate.

Going on a tour with wild Wes is like being given a gift.l: lil morsels of knowledge and a true love of the city.

I highly recommend it!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Even if I was pregnant and am not really really fluent in english, this tour was amazing! I told all my friend to go there and I will tell them again. A lot of fun and very good informations about this city. If you are in the good days in San Francisco, definitively go this tour!!!

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I am an out of shape 57 year old so the idea of a walking tour was not high on my list but I kept reading great things about this tour. It is a hidden San Francisco gem!!!!!! The tour guide, Wes, is a young hipster with an obvious love of the city and its history. It seems rare to find someone so knowledgeable that is so young but his passion shines through. The tour itself was fine for me and if you need to walk a little slower he adjusts without you even realizing it. I loved the music that he played and the funny songs. It made the tour more spirited than others I've been on. I took the first tour with my husband and then repeated it with out of town visitors a month or so later. The second time we had a 77 year old man with us and he did fine too. What I really love about this tour is that all ages seem to have a great time-from youngsters to teens and the elderly everyone is smiling, laughing and having fun.