“Great Service”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Jackson
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Really friendly and authentic service. I'm using authentic to describe the way the servers had a passion for the food, and didn't hesitate to offer up their favourites. The basque cake is a guy's type of desert. The croquettes brought me back to my trip to Madrid. Stuck to tapas and didn't try any mains (seemed out of place when you have tapas).

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Five of us came here after a Saturday show. We have all spent time in Spain and love tapas, and were super excited about the opening of a new option. I can't say enough about how friendly the staff were who helped us out, from the wait staff to the folks in the kitchen who came out with a few of our dishes. They know a lot about the wine and were happy to let us taste until we found what we liked, and they were also great at listening to our preferences food-wise and recommending dishes that would suit us. Awesome service. But, the food not the highlight. Heavy handed squid ink dishes. Paella was fluffed rice with seafood. SF is a town with lots of restaurant options, and I thought I would say I would not go back until I read other reviews here about tapas specials. I will give it another try at happy hour prices. I really wanted to love it, so hope it was just an off day.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Walking back to my hotel after a long day of meetings, I passed the Bask and saw a notice in the window that it was Tapas Tuesday, plus happy hour was till 7 p.m. The steamed mussels item on the list of tapas got my attention. I love mussels and these were the BEST I've ever had, and for $6 a plateful, plus incredibly good bread to sop up the sauce, I ordered another round. The warm and welcoming server offered an incredible Spanish temperanillo at a ridiculously low price--$7-- so I had two of those too. The dinner menu is not cheap, but given the quality of the tapas, I would consider coming back for a special occasion. Loved the Basque music. I will DEFINITELY go back.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

We came to this restaurant on a Monday night, it was very quiet with maybe three or four other tables eating there. It was very relaxed and the waiting staff were nice and friendly. I had the cod dish which was lovely, but we couldn't stay for long. All in all it was a nice meal, I had no complaints, although my partner's steak was a little fatty but we found this to be a common problem on our trip to San Francisco so wouldn't single out this restaurant for it, he enjoyed the beer-battered fries though!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Lovely dinner, but rather noisy...superb hostess.. would go back...quite near north beach and the financial district.................