“Outrageous Chicken”
Review of Namu Gaji

Namu Gaji
Reserve with OpenTable
Namu Gaji is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #339 of 5,925 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Mission District
Reviewed March 26, 2014

the best chicken - worth the wait. also the Beef was very good. skip the Caesar salad. Excellent oysters

Reviewed January 2, 2014

The space is small and most of the seating is communal, but the food is great, the service is friendly and the crowd is cool in a friendly laid back way.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

This spot will surely delight you if you like innovative Asian food - owned by 3 brothers, this restaurant is simple yet innovative and traditional. I loved the new take on favorite dishes - local vegetables are used whenever possible and the fact that turnips are favored here is a thrill for those of us who think this is a maligned vegetable. If you get there early you can enjoy "happy hour" specials - yummy little tacos that are a delicious twist; a discount on wine; and fries that are very different. We moved from this to lots of pickles - all made there - as well as a lovely chicory salad with egg, cheese and pine nuts. We followed this with their version of bee bim bop - called "stone pot" - a mix of vegetables, kimchee, egg, rice and steak - delicious. We had a lovely rose wine with this but there are good selections of sake and beer and other wines as well. Dessert blew me away - the sesame pudding was one of the best desserts I have ever eaten - but then I don't like really sweet gloppy things. This was superb. Get reservations - this place is popular. Good luck to a wonderful place!

Reviewed December 13, 2013

In a day of puttering around in San Francisco, we left Japantown after a stop at Daiso, the $1.50 store. Lunch was on our mind, but not in Japantown. Namu gaji is a place my friend knew; "it will be interesting" and it was.

You pick up a menu as you enter, as well as your glasses and perhaps even a bottle of water, and choose seats. The menu is not really Korean, and not really Japanese (all written in English, of course) but a fusion of many cuisines. We started with "real Korean tacos", one chicken and one bulgogi beef. Served on a sheet of nori, we got rice, daikon kimchee, kimchee remoulade (delicious) & toasted kim. Impossible to pick up and eat like a taco but DELICIOUS. Not too hot, not bland at all.

I ordered gamja fries (I'm on a fries kick). The menu described them as 'poutine like' .... how could I resist? Potato fries, kimchee relish, gochujang, mayo, teriyaki, green onion & bulgogi beef. It was easily big enough to share with more than two, we almost finished it.

My companion ordered okonomiyaki, it was not at all like the scallion pancakes I've had in the past. the pancake was only a very bottom layer of a meal served in a sizzling stone dish, with kimchee, scallion, cabbage, bonito flake, and sauces. Again, delicious, tasty without being overpowering. We could not finish this, and made good use of the offered take-out box. The car smelled absolutely wonderful on the way home.

We both had an "Arnold Palmer", iced tea & lemonade. It was good too.

Service was fast and friendly. The waitress offered to explain anything, but the menu was clear.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I have been a Namu fan for some time. Their food has authentic Korean tastes but with a modern twist!