“Move over, New York, Montreal and Toronto ...”

Miller's East Coast Deli
Ranked #857 of 5,645 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen, Diner
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Nob Hill
Description: Deli
Oakville, Canada
“Move over, New York, Montreal and Toronto ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Miller's ( if only the name sounded more Jewish) stands up there with the best deli any of those other cities -- no doubt. Had breakfast there at 8:30 am. The rye bread had only just come out of the oven. A 9 oz pastrami sandwich ( lose the raw onions) with potato salad, and two scrambled eggs and a potatp latke filled us up. The home fries were great, as was the apple sausage.

Gabe was warm, polite, and creative and accommodating. How different from the great delis of New York.!A server who's polite , not in a hurry -- and doesn't throw the food at you.

Kishka, knishes, latkes, chopped liver, matzo soup, meatloaf, corned beef, pastrami, turkey, roast beef, tongue, herring, whitefish, lox, kosher dogs, burgers, bratwurst, chicken, salads, kuygel, cheesecake , rugelach. Oy yoy ! And the coffee was good too

Shock those bluebloods at your fancy hotel on Nob Hill and their mediocre $30 breakfasts -- and take a $6 cab ride to 1725 Polk.

• Visited March 2013

Kansas City, MO
“I would considering basing a trip to SF on this deli”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Maybe it's because I cherish my NY style deli food so much and I live in a city with no such thing, so when I travel and I find a quality deli, then I go for it, but this deli was as good as the NY delis. I didn't expect them to have whitefish salad (sure lots of delis have whitefish but not necessarily whitefish salad) and it was as good as any whitefish salad in a NY deli. And the bagels were great. A little crispy on the outside but soft on the inside and the toppings you'd want - sesame, onion, the standards (plus wheat for my wife). No complaints whatsoever about the bagels, and I'm pretty critical. I only regret that we were only able to eat here one time for breakfast. I am just going to have to return to SF and work in lunch because as everyone else says, you HAVE to get their pastrami. Maybe I should've gotten a pastrami omelet but I went for the standard lox and bagel and I was not disappointed. Great lox, absolutely perfect amount of accompaniments (capers, lettuce, cucumber, tomato) - unlike many restaurants that way overdo the amount of those things that you won't use. And the cream cheese was very good, too. Good coffee and great service tops it off. I mean, our server happened to be busy right at the time our food was ready and the chef / preparer dude brought it over to our table himself AND offered to get us more coffee. I will definitely come back here when in SF! For lunch AND breakfast!

Sam Roi Yot, Thailand
“How Can I Be Objective When The Food Is So Good?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I think I just wrote the entire review. It's hard to not like this place. When I go in and ask, "please cut the pastrami on the fat side" and the cook knows what I mean...when I hem and haw over bread choices and the counter person gives me great ideas....when it's the best dang pastrami I've had in ages, and continues to be, what else can I say?

I've been coming here for years. I no longer live in San Francisco, but I return here when I can. Pile that excellent pastrami on a sandwich, gimme some great cole slaw and a root beer, and I'm a happy man. It's always busy, they're always fast and the food is always good. I've eaten fully half the menu, I think. I can't think of a thing I wouldn't recommend.

Visited February 2013
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Best Pastrami!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Stopped in for a late lunch on December 31st while out with a friend taking us around sightseeing. This unassuming deli has some of the best meats we have had in quite some time. In particular, the lean cut pastrami was amazingly good. The matzo ball soup was very good and the potato latkes were delicious. No wonder there was a line to be seated even when we left around 3pm.

Pacifica, California, United States
“New York Deli in San Francisco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

As a native New Yorker, I am always on the lookout for a "close to NY type Deli" and this is it. Selection includes my favorites such as Lox and Eggs, and Whitefish Salad plate. Unlike typical NY Deli, the service is polite and flexible. There is no "no substitution" edict here. For Passover, they even serve Matzoh Brie. Try it....you'll like it.

• Visited August 2012