“A bit of Japan in the Bay Area”
Review of Japan Center

and up
San Francisco Food Tour: A Taste of Japantown
Ranked #138 of 567 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore Japanese culture in the city's famed neighborhood. Japan Center's authentic architecture, shops, and food-plus the presence of the Peace Pagoda-make it one of Japantown's prized landmarks.
Reviewed April 12, 2014

It's a couple of blocks long mall with Japanese food and stores. You will fill like you left the US while in this center.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

This is a below average attraction. We were very disappointed with it. There is nothing really to write up. The parking is difficult to find and the Japanese restaurants in the Japan center

We spent an hour looking for a parking spot. There is nothing spectacular about the place

We visited the place in the afternoon, so not sure if the night scene is any better

Reviewed March 9, 2014

First place I ever experienced real Shiatzu style massage and have been back many times since. Always a good experience.

1  Thank Thomas S
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My fav is the Takoyaki at the bakery. Takes a while but worth the wait. 6 for $5

Daiso is very affordable but the lines are very long.
Wide array of items available for $1.50 USD + tax.
Scarves etc are 4 bucks, and gorgeous Japanese kimono dolls $10.

Most of the items in other stores are expensive.

To give you an idea, a little wooden rubber stamp 1"x1" cost about 5+ USD.
A rabbit shaped memopad cost about 8 USD.
Four mini bunny shaped paper clips cost 9 USD.

Parking is validated if you spend $25 or more in certain stores.
Otherwise expect to pay 8 USD or more for parking depending on how long you stay.

The sticker machines are a lot of fun.
Requires 10 single bills.
It was difficult navigating the decoration since I had limited kanji literacy.

The place is clean, and well-maintained.
Very crowded on weekends. I went here Thursday 10 AM when they started opening up.
It was a lot slower paced then and I also enjoyed the roll cake at the bakery.

There are restaurants, crafts stores, stationary stores, book stores, and a "$1.50" shop Daiso,
bakeries, crepes store, jewelry store, accessories and fashion store, etc etc.

Bathrooms were outdated and somewhat ill-equipped. Bring hand sanitizers.

Perfect when its rainy outside.

1  Thank jinnybunny
Reviewed November 25, 2013

we took the bus down to this part of town under the recommendation of a local. we walked for several blocks not knowing where to go. Finally i found the center on my phone and we walked into this deserted looking build and found a wonderful Japanese mall. I felt like I was in Japan. Everyone around was Japanese and the people were so warm and polite. Lots of cool places to buy gifts and souvenirs. And do not leave here with out trying some sushi. OMG the best I have ever had. And cheap we ate soft shell crab and 3 sushi rolls and 2 beers for less then $30. Cheapest place in SF so far.

2  Thank mishisme