“Worth the price”
Review of The Metro Hotel

The Metro Hotel
Ranked #30 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This hotel is definitely worth its price. Rooms are not spacious (= tiny), but they are well maintained and impeccably clean, and the beds are very comfy. Hotel has good location close tho many public transport lines.
For a traveler not caring much about hotel luxury and services but a nice, clean, comfortable bed to sleep, this hotel is definitely recommendable. I enjoyed my stay :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ruusupapu
There are newer reviews for The Metro Hotel

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I was in room 101 (facing Divisadero) the first night and in room 111 (tucked in the back) the next two nights. Both rooms are clean and had a very comfortable bed, but there is a big noise pollution difference. I'll definitely be asking for an inner room at the time of reservation next time.

As many of the other reviewers have also pointed out, the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful with suggesting things to do, places to eat, as-well-as making change. The bus only takes cash without giving change, so every morning I exchanged for a bunch of dollar bills at the front desk.

One negative thing I didn't see in other reviews but was something I experienced in both rooms was a slow draining shower. Not only was it slow, the drain didn't even seem to be in the lowest part of the shower. Within a couple of minutes in the shower, I had to "seek higher ground" to avoid standing in a puddle of water.

Having said that, it was still an amazing bargain ($115/night) considering the nice location and comfortable rooms. Breakfast at nearby eateries (Vinyl and the Grind) were both delicious, and the hotel is no more than a Muni transfer away from all the places that I wanted to go within the city.

The significant savings allowed us to upgrade our experience in terms of food and activities. So I look forward to awkwardly showering again at the Metro Hotel next time I visit San Francisco. Or perhaps they will have already fixed the drain problem by then. :) I would easily recommend the Metro Hotel to family and friends.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing Divisadero Street!
1  Thank Botayone
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Metro hotel has a little strange layout of some of its rooms, but in a good way. It's not the average "module" build standard hotel. It got soul! Our party lived there for 2 days and had in total 3 different rooms. All the beds wasn't that comfortable but it was ok. The staff was great and helped us with adidtional rooms with very short notice. It's a nice "soft" neighborhood with restaurants and bars. Felt safe going out in the evening. You don't have BART nearby but there is buses for communication to Market street or other more central locations.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Krusse
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I spent quite some time looking on Trip Advisor for 3 nights accommodation in this lovely city. At first I looked around Fisherman's Wharf - far too expensive. This place got good reviews and was reasonably priced for a city. Room only no breakfast again but would recommend it to anyone. To get here from airport do not take a taxi it'll cost around $70 we were told. We caught the train to Powell then the 21 or 6 bus to Hays which stops at junction with Divisadero Street. $8.50 each on the train then $2 each on the bus. It is 150 yards from there. (Tickets can be used on other buses too within 2 hours interchangeable with trams too. It is $2 for 1 stop or 20 stops). To get to Fisherman's Wharf walk up 2 blocks to bus stop and catch 71 to Ferry Building then tram to whichever pier you want. Check with Hotel on Street name. Journey takes 30 minutes or so.

Now the hotel. 24 hour reception. All receptionists very helpful. There is a communal microwave and fridge downstairs behind reception that you can use. We also used the safe although none in the room itself.
We requested room 107 as someone on here said it was quiet and it was. Room is small but very clean. Bathroom a reasonable size and very clean. No complaints at all.

Room Tip: 107 has a slightly larger bathroom I was told. Not much room on left side of bed but enough. This ro...
1  Thank geoffviking
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent 4 nights here in September and thought it was great. The value is excellent, the staff was extremely helpful and the location is really good. It's a little ways away from the piers/wharf but right in the height/castro/mission area and really close to golden gate park (not the bridge). San Francisco is such a compact city that being in the middle of it, like Metro is. means that you're just 3 miles (5km) from anywhere.
We found that biking was the way to go from this hotel since the wiggle (bike route that avoids the big hills) is just a block away. However, if you're planning on biking from here make sure you're fit and comfortable biking in traffic since there are hills and lots of cars. In three days of biking we felt like we saw so much of the city and had a really great experience.
The rooms are very small but comfortable. There's no fridge in the room but the staff is happy to put things in the communal fridge with your name/room number on it.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 108 and 111 during our trip. Room 108 is a little noisy in the evening as it is ne...
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My friends and I stayed here for about 4 nights. It is a great area that's really quiet so there was not any street noise to worry about. The room was clean and looked recently updated, and provided us with three beds for a great price! The staff was friendly, and very helpful when it came to food recommendations and information about attractions. We were walking distance from some great eateries and little bars!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed at The Metro for 4 nights. We have visited SF a few times but never in the Haight-Ashbury District. The garden patio in the back was a really nice place to relax. The room was a little small but very clean. They gave us some great eating recommendations around the area. I must say Shana was delightful. I would always look forward to talking to her, if she was at the front desk. I felt right at home. We loved everything about this hotel and will be staying here everytime we come to town, for a 49er game.

1  Thank Nic0leP30