“Good Choice”
Review of The Metro Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Francisco
The Metro Hotel
Ranked #50 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
“Good Choice”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Great location, easy access to the city. Clean, adequate rooms and the staff was very helpful. Good choice. Pick a room towards the back for a garden view. You will have to haul up your own luggage as no elevator.

Room Tip: Choose a room toward the back or garden view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank rea0612

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Caracas, Venezuela
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The Metro was recommended to my husband and myself by two CA natives. We stayed there four nights at the start of our honeymoon and were very pleased. As other reviewers noted, the location is terrific and the front desk staff is amazing. We worked mainly with Gigi in the evening and Shayna in the morning, and both were terrific. Shayna helped a great deal as we ironed out nitty gritty details that you really can't do until the last minute, such as walking/bus routes and lesser known local sight seeing gems. She also helped us by printing a couple documents we needed.

We found the room basic, clean, and sufficient for our needs. We were really not in it 90% of the time with our sight seeing schedule. But it was quiet and the bed was comfy, and so we were happy.

There is no elevator so guests do need to be fairly ambulatory.

We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I followed other guests' suggestions and requested a back garden room to have a quieter stay. So...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eileenmg123
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Metro. It is the only place I stay in SF. I can stay in any Hilton or Marriott for free and still I pay to stay here.

Reason #1: Location. The Metro is central to everything. You can walk or take transit to any major neighborhood in a very reasonable amount of time. The bridge and the wharf take a little longer, but you're only going to those places once anyway. You want to be where you can experience the shopping, culture, and cuisine each neighborhood has to offer.

Reason #2: Value. OMG, you are staying in the heart of SF for $88-$150?! Unbelievable! Still, a low price means nothing if the accommodations are dirty or uncomfortable. Here you will find basic rooms that are exceptionally clean and well maintained. The rooms aren't miniature and the beds are very comfortable. I can't speak for all the rooms, but I have always had a ceiling fan. I stayed here for the first time because I was looking for the cheapest place I could find that was not gross. I figured I would just keep my things there and crash at night. But I found a great place worthy of more than just crashing. I'm happy to spend a morning in my room with a coffee and a book, or nursing a hangover, or to come back for a midday nap after walking all over the city.

Reason #3: Staff. The staff here is awesome. They treat you like friends and are happy to help with anything. They will hold your bags before or after checkout, call you a cab, help you get an airport transfer (and even get a deal on it), and they are super knowledgeable about the area and can make great recommendations. Also, they go above and beyond. On my last trip, I left my iPhone charger there. I spend a lot of time in hotels and have done this several times. I don't even contact the hotel to ask about it anymore. Within a few days of getting back to Raleigh, I received my charger in a padded mailer with the nicest handwritten note on a Metro Hotel postcard. THANKS SHANA, YOU RULE!!

Reason #4: Charm. I always get a room on Divisadero and it gives me a feeling that I could be living anytime in the last 100 years. I like to lay in bed in the morning and look out the window and imagine all the years of change in SF, and people from each period of time. I don't know the history of the building, but what is in my mind is probably more colorful. And it's the little things that add to that timeless charm: the 80s punk neon sign in front, the cute little unexpected courtyard in the back, the fact that they still use actual keys.

When I stay at the Metro, I feel incredibly welcome - like I'm visiting friends. My room feels like my own little flat. I like to come and go and speak to whoever is on duty, the other guests, etc. I have rarely gotten this feeling in the US, it's very much the feel of a small hotel in Europe. It's my special little oasis and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Hope to see you again later this year, Metro!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank alouisemcg
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Metro hotel is easy to get to by bus, rooms are clean, but sparse and tiny. But, who cares, you'll be out in the city, or sitting in the back patio with a bottle of wine or a beer. Restaurants within walking distance and best of all, very friendly, helpful staff who take the time to recommend walks, areas to avoid and those not to miss.

Room Tip: book early!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank slynnes
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My kids and I stayed here for a couple of days. Upon arriving, I was greeted by Monty. He was very kind and extremely helpful. I've traveled a lot and have experienced rude and dismissive front desk attendants. Monty was completely opposite. He treated us as if we were guests in his home. Our room resembled more like a late 1940s style flat( including a large kitchenette). We loved the spacious, quirky-kitschy look and feel of the whole place! I will definetly stay here again. Very friendly and affordable.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Tressedout
USA
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed here for one night in June 2013. This was the only room available for the whole month. This is a popular hotel that needs to be reserved in advance.

I had room 103 overlooking the street. There was some street noise, but I had the window open. There is a restaurant downstairs that closes at 11:00PM. It is not loud but you can hear people going in and out.

The whole neighborhood quieted down after 11.

The room was very clean. Paint was fresh. The carpet was recent and there were no stains or marks. The bed was comfortable. there is a flat screen TV on the wall that gets quite a few channels. No premium movie channels.

The bathroom and showers very clean.

The only negatives were moderate traffic noise and slow internet. Internet is free.

This hotel is not downtown, but there are frequent public buses (Muni) that run downtown. fare is $2.00 and includes a transfer food for a couple of extra hours. The hotel is near the Castro and the Haight districts.

There are a number of restaurants within walking distance.

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms off the street will be quieter. No view though.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank petest50
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The Metro is just as described, light, and a nice building. Good location for local places to eat and drink nearby. Buses to the centre at the end of the road. Friendly staff.Good choice and price for SF.

Room Tip: Choose a back room if you don't want street noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo