“Wouldn't stay here again.”
Review of The Metro Hotel

The Metro Hotel
Ranked #22 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed June 9, 2008

I was happy to get a room at one of the most inexpensive hotels near UCSF. Upon arrival, I was disappointed. First, you have to park on the street - we did find a spot a 1/2 block away. Next, no elevator. We had to walk up 2 flights of stairs to our room. Then, the room. Well, it was quite small to say the least. The bed took up pretty much the whole room. The bathroom was also interesting. The shower and toilet were the only things in there. The sink was in the room by the bed. It all would have been fine except for it was sooo hot, it was winter time and it was hot. No air conditioning, no ceiling fan. I asked for an inside room because I have read the complaints about the noise. There was a small window, but it didn't help and we could still hear the noise from the restaurant below. I also wasn't thrilled with the desk clerk on check in. He kept cussing at his computer because the rate he was trying to charge was more that what was in the confirmation email they sent. Note: be sure to bring that email to avoid getting overcharged.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank cakp

Reviewed December 13, 2007

We stayed here one night while going to an appointment at UCSF hospital. We stayed in room 105 which was just big enough (about 8 X 11) for a queen bed small chair and desk/table with the t.v. on it. The furniture was very worn and old. The window looked out onto a platform about 4 X 5 with walls and windows on all sides and open to the sky above. Not sure what we would have done in the case of a fire! We had to have the window open (no screen) even though the temp was in the 40's because the room was so hot and unable to control the heat. We smelled cooking smells most of the night. I crawled under the covers only to find worn, scratchy sheets with little balls all over it. I did call the front desk and ask them to send up a "better" sheet, which they did. We were right next to the stairs so heard people coming up them all night and heard every word they said while in the hall. The next morning we saw a few little tiny bugs crawling on the walls. Fleas? Bedbugs? Not sure. Oh did I mention the bed was hard? The price was reasonable ($80) but don't expect much. Some of the other rooms may have been better. I am needing to find a place to stay for 3 weeks while my husband is in the hospital........it won't be here! We did have dinner at the Katmandu next door, which I think is part of the hotel , and it was very good. We were the only ones in there for an early 5:30 pm dinner though.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ngbf
Reviewed September 16, 2007

We called ahead to request a larger, quieter room. We got one at the back but with windows on all walls so that we got to hear the conversations and cell phone calls of the people using the garden or walking around the various staircases. And the hotel or restaurant staff washing out bins at 1am. It was like a fishbowl. Also the rooms layout meant you were constantly bumping into things and it just wasn't comfortable for checking email, reading or watching TV. Even the bathroom was uncomfortable with no where to put your things. There was no coffee in the hotel and it was a couple block walk for a cup of joe. They make a big deal about being no smoking and then the hotel staff stink the place up with really smelly incense. We had a 4 night booking and left within 2 days.

• Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank Rocky995
Reviewed August 26, 2007

My 2 sisters and I stayed here overnight as they were undergoing surgery the next morning and needed a place close to the hospital. I travel a great deal for business and am used to the Hilton/ Sheraton type ammenities, and if that's your requirement, book elsewhere. However, for a no frills, clean, cheap (by San Francisco standards) place to stay, check it out. Rooms are extremely small, and don't count on all the goodies like nice soap, shampoo, hairdryer, etc. What you will find is a friendly staff, a great location, decent neighborhood, and a terrific restaurant right next door (Metro Kahtmandu). The hotel also has a beautiful courtyard and several interesting shops in the same block. Parking is a little dicey, but from 6:00 pm to 9:00 am, they have an arrangement with a business about 1/2 block away, and you may use their lot for free. Would definitely stay there again if I was just looking for a place to sleep, clean up, and explore the city. If you're a sit-in-your-hotel-room kind of person, would advise checking in elsewhere (and probably paying 3 times the nightly rate).

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank knewitall
Reviewed May 26, 2007

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews and striking out on Priceline and finding high hotel prices in most other San Francisco hotels due to the Bay to Breakers race that weekend. Don't look for Hyatt and Hilton type service or amenities here, but if you don't need that nor to be in the center of the tourist scene, then this is a good place to stay.

I had a first floor (up a flight of stairs) room facing Divisadero (might have been the same room as the previous reviewer). They appear to have done a bit of freshening up somewhat recently - gone are the hospital colors mentioned in older reviews - one wall was painted a dark mauve color and the rest was white. My room was a good size (although I saw other rooms as the housekeepers were cleaning and they were smaller) with one queen bed, very basic desk, a night table and small chest of drawers that the small TV sat on top of. The TV was 13" but had a full complement of cable channels. I did have an alarm clock in my room. Bathroom was L-shaped and average size - no bathtub, just a shower stall. Three sets of good towels in the room. All very basic, but cozy. The bed was comfy with a newer cotton blanket, but it cracked me up as it was very high, with my short legs it was a climb to get in it!

It was all very clean. I had a huge recessed window facing front, with two small side windows. Divisadero can be noisy with traffic, but that doesn't bother me and I had no problems falling asleep. It got very bright morning sunshine even with the blinds closed - that was what woke me up a bit earlier than planned. The hallways outside were pleasant, there was an antique cabinet outside my door with fresh flowers. There was also a pleasant courtyard (shared with the restaurant downstairs) in the back. Front desk staff were pleasant although I didn't ask much from them.

It is outside of tourist central but the location is not bad at all. It is in a pleasant regular residential neighborhood on the edge of both the Haight and the Castro. Haight Street is just a block and a half south of the hotel. The center of Haight Ashbury is about a 15 minute walk west (or 5 minute bus ride), the center of the Castro about 15 minutes walk south. Haight going east through the Hayes Valley has a number of restaurants as well. It's just about a 20 minute bus ride to downtown SF and the buses run often, so getting around was easy, get a multi-day MUNI passport for unlimited riding on the buses, streetcars and cable cars.

So, if you don't require much more than a clean, safe bed, want to stay on the cheap and/or away from tourist central, then the Metro Hotel is a good place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled solo
6  Thank PopArtist
Reviewed May 1, 2007

I went on a trip to San Francisco with an old boyfriend four years ago for a few weeks.
Before we arrived we had booked a 14 night stay in a hostel by Haight and Divisadero, we had heard hostels especially in this area were very good. On arrival we saw a broken down hovel, dark ,dirty and very dangerous we decided to throw our deposit away and run as fast as we could (to the nearest bar that is). More or less across the road we found a pub called the Bodhran (since closed down) ran by a Cork man and his wife, who became friends on the trip and advised us on The Metro Hotel for our stay and said that's where their extended family would stay when they come to visit.
So off we went a two minute walk up Haight Street and a small turn right on Divisadero and there it was The Metro. On the outside it was white and well looked after with hanging flower baskets etc. As it was roughly seven in the evening we were not too sure if the restaurant next door was shut down or simply closed but looked like a part of the hotel.
We entered and spoke to a middle aged women who later stated she was the owner, we explained our predicament and afraid we were not going to find anywhere else decided for convenience to settle up for two weeks there and then. We also used the safe she accessed from behind her desk to hold all money, passports and licenses. We were given our key and off up the stairs we went. We were at the front of the building on the first floor. It was an average sized room with a large double bed and very large window facing out onto the road. It was old fashioned but not too dated and not at all dirty just a lot of dark wood furniture and woolly blankets on the bed. The toilet was a good size and more modern. Towels were provided and a T.V. with satellite was also in the room. No other amenities were available but it suited us. One thing I must say is in the high morning sun the room was boiling and had no other conditioning but to open the window.
During the day the owner herself looked after the front desk in the small entrance area which was full of leaflets on trips and restaurants and ventures which proved very helpful for us. At night a younger man sat, both were more than helpful and even received Fax's for us on occasion. Across the road from the hotel was a pub, quiet enough with a few snooker tables and as Ive previously stated an Irish bar just down the road, a lovely restaurant next door with a terrace outside and a "slushy Joe" type fast food place down on Divisadero. Best of all we were a stones throw from the famous hippy area Haight and Ashbury which had a fabulous array of shops and restaurants and led down to Golden Gate Park.
While the hotel was not too near to the City we were able to walk it in 30 minutes, there was a very good bus service across from the hotel, and taxis were reasonable.. In all it was a pleasant place to stay with helpful staff the only downside for me was that on our last day a collection of about 7 Cd's i had only just bought in a local discount music store went missing from my bag. As we were moving on anyway and the owner assured me she would look after the situation I was not too worried but weeks later on arriving home and my phone calls at this stage being ignored it seemed "outta sight outta mind" attitude for The Metro with regard to customer service. I would not let this deter you too much as I hope there has been a turnover of cleaning staff since , The Metro did the job and we found it a reasonable price for our stay in a great safe and handy location.

• Stayed: June 2003, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 11willow11
Reviewed April 8, 2007

great little hotel, nice enough rooms, staff are very helpful too. A little out of the city, but not far from the bus stop. lots of restaurants nearby - especially a vegetarian place on divisadero, 2 blocks away to the north on the same side of the road (forgot the name) it was cheap as chips, and delicious.

• Stayed: January 2007