“Total Gem in Haight Ashbury”
Review of The Metro Hotel

The Metro Hotel
Ranked #24 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Metro. It is the only place I stay in SF. I can stay in any Hilton or Marriott for free and still I pay to stay here.

Reason #1: Location. The Metro is central to everything. You can walk or take transit to any major neighborhood in a very reasonable amount of time. The bridge and the wharf take a little longer, but you're only going to those places once anyway. You want to be where you can experience the shopping, culture, and cuisine each neighborhood has to offer.

Reason #2: Value. OMG, you are staying in the heart of SF for $88-$150?! Unbelievable! Still, a low price means nothing if the accommodations are dirty or uncomfortable. Here you will find basic rooms that are exceptionally clean and well maintained. The rooms aren't miniature and the beds are very comfortable. I can't speak for all the rooms, but I have always had a ceiling fan. I stayed here for the first time because I was looking for the cheapest place I could find that was not gross. I figured I would just keep my things there and crash at night. But I found a great place worthy of more than just crashing. I'm happy to spend a morning in my room with a coffee and a book, or nursing a hangover, or to come back for a midday nap after walking all over the city.

Reason #3: Staff. The staff here is awesome. They treat you like friends and are happy to help with anything. They will hold your bags before or after checkout, call you a cab, help you get an airport transfer (and even get a deal on it), and they are super knowledgeable about the area and can make great recommendations. Also, they go above and beyond. On my last trip, I left my iPhone charger there. I spend a lot of time in hotels and have done this several times. I don't even contact the hotel to ask about it anymore. Within a few days of getting back to Raleigh, I received my charger in a padded mailer with the nicest handwritten note on a Metro Hotel postcard. THANKS SHANA, YOU RULE!!

Reason #4: Charm. I always get a room on Divisadero and it gives me a feeling that I could be living anytime in the last 100 years. I like to lay in bed in the morning and look out the window and imagine all the years of change in SF, and people from each period of time. I don't know the history of the building, but what is in my mind is probably more colorful. And it's the little things that add to that timeless charm: the 80s punk neon sign in front, the cute little unexpected courtyard in the back, the fact that they still use actual keys.

When I stay at the Metro, I feel incredibly welcome - like I'm visiting friends. My room feels like my own little flat. I like to come and go and speak to whoever is on duty, the other guests, etc. I have rarely gotten this feeling in the US, it's very much the feel of a small hotel in Europe. It's my special little oasis and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Hope to see you again later this year, Metro!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank alouisemcg

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Metro hotel is easy to get to by bus, rooms are clean, but sparse and tiny. But, who cares, you'll be out in the city, or sitting in the back patio with a bottle of wine or a beer. Restaurants within walking distance and best of all, very friendly, helpful staff who take the time to recommend walks, areas to avoid and those not to miss.

Room Tip: book early!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank slynnes
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My kids and I stayed here for a couple of days. Upon arriving, I was greeted by Monty. He was very kind and extremely helpful. I've traveled a lot and have experienced rude and dismissive front desk attendants. Monty was completely opposite. He treated us as if we were guests in his home. Our room resembled more like a late 1940s style flat( including a large kitchenette). We loved the spacious, quirky-kitschy look and feel of the whole place! I will definetly stay here again. Very friendly and affordable.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Tressedout
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed here for one night in June 2013. This was the only room available for the whole month. This is a popular hotel that needs to be reserved in advance.

I had room 103 overlooking the street. There was some street noise, but I had the window open. There is a restaurant downstairs that closes at 11:00PM. It is not loud but you can hear people going in and out.

The whole neighborhood quieted down after 11.

The room was very clean. Paint was fresh. The carpet was recent and there were no stains or marks. The bed was comfortable. there is a flat screen TV on the wall that gets quite a few channels. No premium movie channels.

The bathroom and showers very clean.

The only negatives were moderate traffic noise and slow internet. Internet is free.

This hotel is not downtown, but there are frequent public buses (Muni) that run downtown. fare is $2.00 and includes a transfer food for a couple of extra hours. The hotel is near the Castro and the Haight districts.

There are a number of restaurants within walking distance.

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms off the street will be quieter. No view though.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank petest50
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The Metro is just as described, light, and a nice building. Good location for local places to eat and drink nearby. Buses to the centre at the end of the road. Friendly staff.Good choice and price for SF.

Room Tip: Choose a back room if you don't want street noise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank angela s
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My family and I spent 6 days in San Francisco,what a fantastic experience we had.
Our accommodations were terrific, all of the staff were knowledgable!
Every time we passed an employee we were askedif we needed help!
Great great great

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank gary s
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is a great boutique hotel in a great location .For $87 a night you get a comfort Queen size bed and a very clean room, free Wifi and no "homeless" people hanging around after 5.30pm like you do around Union Square or Fisherman's Wharf areas. Yes, its small and after staying in Fairmont Hotels in Canada for two weeks prior we wondered what we had booked. We had room 208 for 4 nights (Tues - Fri). The reception is "manned" by some great people who will answer any questions. There was plenty of room for our 2 50lb suitcases & 2 cabin bags & small backpacks. No air-con but a fan over the bed. Plenty of lights to read in bed at night or TV which is wall mounted in front of the bed.The bathroom has been recently renovated with new paint, new shower & toilet. Shower is standard size (600 x600) so plenty of room - just the shower rose is a little bit low, no problems for me at 5ft 5" but hubby at 6ft only had trouble washing his hair. Note; they do not supply shampoo, conditioner or hairdryer. There is flowing soap in a dispenser in the shower. Yes, sink is in the room which we had not problem with. Yes, we did get a bit of noise from the Pizza place below but only on the Wednesday night did the noise go until 10.30pm other nights it was quiet by 10pm.
Laundromat next to the Chase Bank on the cnr of Divisadero & Oak St (next block) $3 for a card so you load your money. Cost $5 for wash & dry one load. They refund your $3 when you have finished with your card. Buses are great. We bought a MUNI card and used it to the max. Bus stops on cnr of Haight Street/Divisadero Sts use #71 or #6 (buses run every 6 mins) will take you right into Market St next to Union Square/Cable Car on Powell. First day we paid $2 each & got off at Market/Mason Sts to buy our MUNI card at Visitor Info Centre (ask for map of bus routes/Cable Cars) #71 on the same side of Metro Hotel will take you to the Golden Gate Park & Pacific Ocean. Ate next door the first night - great pizza. We ate mostly at The Grind on Haight Street just a couple block down from the bus stop. Three breakfasts & one dinner later - loved the place!!! Free Wifi (ask for password at the server). Happy Hour 5pm - 7pm - beers for $2.50 :) great after a full day of shopping. Loved our dinner at Noya Restaurant on Divisadero St (four blocks from hotel) but you have to go early - before 6pm - gosh this place gets sooooo busy. Arrived at 6.10pm on Wed night and couldn't get a booking until 8.45pm so arrived at 5.30pm on Thursday and still waited 15 minutes for a table.
$17 to get to Metro from International Airport but book through Metro for return trip as its only $10 each to airport. Only negative for me - the light switch was on the wall behind my pillows so when I watched TV or read, the lights would come on/off - a headboard would have solved the problem.
Left our last 3 days on our two 7 day MUNI cards at reception so we hope someone staying at the Metro after us enjoyed the free transport :)

Room Tip: Rm 209 is facing the back so not road noise but you do get a bit of noise from the reataurant but on...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple