“My new "Go To" home away from home”
Review of The Metro Hotel

The Metro Hotel
Ranked #24 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Found this gem through the recommendations on Trip Advisor. This is not the place for you if you want to do all the "touristy" spots on the waterfront/Union Square, unless you are comfortable with the use of public transportation (ie:busses). The rooms are very small, but so is the price. I had ignored the street noise warnings on Trip Advisor and rented Room 102, which was a bit larger and located right above the front door and specialty pizza parlor. Room 102 had two lovely windows overlooking the fire escape and the street. While the constant traffic noise did not bother me, I found that the constant flow of people and accompaning open/close of the restaraunt door and diner noise was really loud. The restaraunt stopped serving relatively early, but the diners would linger over their bottles of wine. Then, at about 2:30 in the morning, the Recycle Guys came by and collected the bottles and threw them in the back of their pickup truck. ONE AT A TIME, with a loud crash. The Staff of the Metro Motel were WONDERFUL and quickly switched me to and interior room, which, surprisingly, was too quiet.
Make sure to orient yourself on a map before you go. This hotel is very close to the Haight/Ashbury District and Golden Gate State Park. Remember to note that when you are looking at the colorful tourist map, it is not to scale! I am a walker, but I ended up using the Bus system several times when I misjudged the distance.
The whole Staff were wonderful, with suggestions and recommendations. I will DEFINITELY be a repeat customer!

Room Tip: I would recommend a room away from the street noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank beezergal

Reviewed April 28, 2013

If you like to get around a strange city on public transport, this location cannot be beat. Buy a bus pass and you can get around San Fran from almost outside your doorstep. Once you get the feel for the city you will realize how many places you can even walk to. I would suggest checking out the direction you are going (hill wise) and plan it so you walk down the hills and take the bus up the hills.
Within minutes on the bus you can get to the famous haight/ashbury area, golden gate park, the castro district, and market street, downtown san fran's main street. All these locations are also walkable.
I just returned from 9 nights (with a 2 night gap) at metro. We had two different rooms. I had read that the back rooms were quieter so asked for them.
We started in room 115 that had a super comfy queen and a super uncomfy pull out bed. When i spoke to the desk they sent up a foam mattress to use. That made a huge difference. I was told that they will be replacing the pull out.
As far as the noise level, it was quite high in the back as the restaurant now has a back patio. However, if you are not an old fart, as i am, and go to bed later than 10 pm, you won't have a problem as the restaurant closes very early. We then moved to room 109 that has 2 separate bedrooms with two fab beds.
The rooms are small and spotlessly clean. Hey, you're in one of the greatest cities in the world, who cares what size your room is!
Shauna, Gigi and Matt (the three staff that were on duty during our stay) are amazingly helpful and super friendly.
This is the place to get the most bang for your buck - GREAT LOCATION, GREAT HOTEL, GREAT STAFF, and you will be left with cash in your pocket to enjoy one of the greatest cities in the world.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank cari m
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This hotel is great! It's in a nice location, with a yummy restaurant underneath on the bottom floor.

Rooms are comfy, nicely decorated, and staff is warm and friendly!

The parking situation is interesting. Supposedly guests are allowed to park at the DMV parking lot. When I called the front desk about this staff there did not know how to tell me to use the machine at the lot. That was very frustrating, but overall it was a great hotel to stay at.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are quieter!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Was little apprehensive given some of the reviews posted, particularly about the room and bed sizes. However, for us this was unfounded. We had room 109 which had not one but two queen size beds!!! The bathroom was spacious, extremely clean and had a fantastic shower. There wasn't a hairdryer in the room but I asked at reception and they had one for me to use, no problem. The staff on reception were very friendly and informative. The Haight District has plenty of places to eat and drink nearby. However if you want to head into town just walk to the top of the road and take number 71 bus which will take you for the small sum of $2 per person. An excellent reasonably priced hotel which I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank Reebok58
Reviewed April 21, 2013

On the positive side and most importantly, the staff were very friendly and the accommodation was clean and tidy. Otherwise, the hotel was uninspiring. Our room was tiny and so was the bed. Unless you are small, you will not fit under the shower and if you try you will most certainly bang your head on the shower basket (which might knock sense into some people!) The garden is not very useful because it is shared with the restaurant next door, is unavailable after 5:00pm and we found nowhere suitable to sit. The stairs are steep and narrow, so over-sized luggage is probably not advisable. The free WiFi was extremely patchy. I know this is a budget hotel and San Francisco is expensive. Even so, I felt the hotel did not provide sufficient incentive for us to return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank thrifty
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is a bargain in a terrific neighborhood. The Lower Haight is so vibrant and so well served by public transportation that you won't miss staying downtown. Besides, this is a lot closer to Golden Gate Park. Get the staff's suggestions on places to eat. There are dozens of places nearby.

Shana gets well deserved rave reviews for her charm and help, but actually Monty and Gigi were extremely helpful as well. Have the hotel staff book shuttle service back to the airport for you. It's cheaper than anything you can arrange on your own. Hats off to the housekeepers too--the place is super clean.

That said, the rooms are basic and small. Room 111 was quiet enough, and big enough to unroll a yoga mat, but if I hadn't had an iPad, reading in bed would have been impossible given the lighting. The sink is in the room, as opposed to the toilet/shower room, which is convenient, but it would have been nice to have a towel rack by the sink. And Kleenex? What hotel doesn't supply Kleenex? Lastly, there is a ceiling fan, but no other apparent source of climate control. You never really need AC in San Francisco, but when it hits 40 at night, some heat would have been nice.

Despite this, I would definitely stay at Metro again. You would be hard pressed to find a better deal.

Room Tip: Ask the staff to describe the rooms to you. 111 was quiet, but with a glass block window, so no view...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Cambridge39
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed here on a Thursday-Saturday. The location of the hotel is great if you want to get a feel of what 'real' San Francisco feels like, away from the downtown area. The hotel itself was very clean and accomodating. We had a room with a queen bed and the room was SMALL - the two of us and our suitcase barely fit into the room. The other thing is that there is no elevator; carrying our 50lb suitcase up to the 3rd floor was something that I wouldn't want to repeat!

I would think that parking would be easy in this part of the city but we had to look for 5-10 minutes on average for a street parking spot. We were always able to find one within 4 blocks (Page and Oak seemed to be the best bets)

All in all though, this hotel definitely got the job done. Good price for accomodations that we needed. If you can get over the small spaces you'll enjoy your stay

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple