Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews homeless people tenderloin eggs or pancakes communal areas bunk beds central location neighborhood bart california
Selected filters
Reviewed August 24, 2016

This was my first time staying in a hostel and it was a great experience. Staff were friendly upon arrival and very helpful. The group of girls I stayed in a dorm with were from my city and my age, whether this was intentional or not it was nice. Beds were very comfy and it was very clean. Had no issue with noise at all. Breakfast was great with $1 for pancakes or eggs, and you get four! Checkout was easy and they are able to hold your luggage. Wifi was great and everyone staying here was really friendly. Reception team are awesome.

Room tip: Rooms towards the back are quiet
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Aliciawilde
Molly S, General Manager at San Francisco City Center Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2016

You know what Alicia?... YOU'RE awesome!!

Great guest make great hostels, and you just made us that much better by staying.

Come on back again soon! Until then,

Reviewed August 23, 2016 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights in June. Hostel was clean, beds were fine. The free breakfast was ok. Better than a lot of hostels I've been in anyway.

The real highlight of the hostel was the bar. Considering San Fran is generally a really expensive city the pints were pretty cheap, especially during happy hour. The beers they had were local and very good also.

The only hostel activity I did was the pub crawl which was great. A decent number of people were on it and all the bars were good and reasonably priced.

It's located near some good food spots and bars on Polk street. Although it does appear to be in the middle of a bit of a hotspot for homeless people. They didn't cause any real issues but I'd definitely be a bit wary as there is a lot of 'characters' in the area.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank cunny92

Hi Ross,

Thank you so much for this sweet review! I'm glad you found our little bar charming, we love it too and do try to keep those prices down for our guests. Every little bit of savings goes towards something else awesome to add into your trip, and we love helping out with that.

Happy Travels!
M

Reviewed August 13, 2016 via mobile

We stayed in a private double room for 3 nights. We were pleasantly surprised when we opened the door to our lovely double room. Sunlight was streaming in onto the beautifully made bed. Everything was so clean and lovely. Much more character than a hotel room too.
Staff super friendly too. Would definitely recommend

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank KatherineC858
Molly S, General Manager at San Francisco City Center Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2016

What a lovely and poetic review Katherine, thank you!

We've been updating our private rooms over the past several months, so it's very nice to hear you found your room so welcoming and comfortable!

Reviewed August 8, 2016 via mobile

Our experience was very nice. The staff is very friendly, and go above and beyond in their customer service. Free breakfast is quite basic, however, for $1 you can get 4 pancakes or a plate of eggs, which is more than one usually gets at a hostel breakfast. The location is good in the sense that it's not too far from union square. However.... Just a street away, it gets a bit sketchy, with a very large population of homeless crowding the streets. Other than that, a wonderful place to stay!

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank miss-Anna-I16
Molly S, General Manager at San Francisco City Center Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2016

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay Anna! And found our staff to be so helpful. We love our guests, and you all make it very easy to be nice!

Reviewed August 6, 2016

Basically a good hostel, but not the best of where I've been till now. The sockets in the room were not practical at all in my room at first, because I was assigned an upper bed in the bunk and the socket was low on the wall. Due to that I asked for a change in my room and had to wait 2 nights. The problem was finally solved in my next room but there the wifi was very slow and bad. Then it also happened that I wanted to enter my room and my crd suddenly stopped working, and I had to walk to the reception for them to do something. This happened twice.. annoying.
The area was not really a nice area but if you don't walk there at night you should be okay.

Room tip: ask for the bottom bed in the bunk
Date of stay: January 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank chandni110

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It sounds like you had kind of a perfect storm of annoyances!

The electrical situation in our old building is pretty overwhelming, and we recently shifted from providing student housing to having only hostel rooms, so some of our rooms have yet to be updated. We want all of our guests to have an easy and well connected stay, so we do have plans to update the outlets in a number of our rooms next year. While this wont correct the frustrations you had here recently, hopefully we will be ready to offer you an improved experience when you next come through.

Actually, all of the issues you experienced are either seasonal (like moving rooms, this can be hard for us to achieve when we are at maximum occupancy), or are slated to be improved soon! We are always working on our wifi, and are soon hoping to change lock systems, so that people don't get 'locked out' so frequently.

All in, I'm glad you did enjoy your time with us, and I'm sorry for all the small but annoying issues you experienced. I hope you come back to stay with us sometime down the road, I know we will show you a better time!

Thanks