“Unfriendly, partially clean, affordable”

San Francisco City Center Hostel
Sacramento, California
“Unfriendly, partially clean, affordable”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The best thing about this hostel is the price! Although in a "sketchy" area of aggressive drug inhabitants, this area is centrally located and if you are a "city person" like myself - no worries. The unfriendly staff at the front desk, however, is worrisome. This is supposed to be a welcoming center for all. It is marketed as a friendly hotel for local and global travelers -there is nothing friendly about it! The people at the front desk act as though you are a bother, if you just pass by the desk - forget about asking questions! They are definitely not helpful. The place was reasonably clean, but dirty cups, plates, are present in the lobby and the rooms had some residues of last night's guests. My bedding sheets were clean, however, there were wet towels draped over the railings of my bed when I arrived.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
19 Thank Elly A
Michael F, Manager at San Francisco City Center Hostel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Hi Elly,

I am truly sorry that you had this experience at our hostel! As Manager, it is not only my job to ensure that our guests have positive interactions with staff, but also that our facilities have an outstanding reputation for cleanliness. I apologize that I have failed in delivering these results to you. I too am also very concerned by your comments. I have sent you a private message and would appreciate additional feedback, should you be willing to provide it.

HI-City Center

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

The two stars are for the excellent and helpful staff, and for the fact that the bedroom was clean and comfortable (though I did leave covered in bite marks, which I suspect was from the bed but can't be 100% sure). Unfortunately it is a really unpleasant area which meant we ended up spending money on taxis to take us back at night, thus negating the cost saving.

I thought I had paid for the premium room as specified on the website, but I was told that the prices had since changed but the website hadn't been updated which is pretty poor.

The breakfast was quite good and there was plenty of space to relax in the bar, lobby and mezzanine. Wifi didn't work for most of our stay.

Room Tip: Higher up the better because of street noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
17 Thank Anna S
Michael F, Manager at San Francisco City Center Hostel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Hello Anna,

I am really sorry to hear you had a poor experience at our location! We take cleanliness very seriously, and I would love the opportunity to fully investigate this issue if you could provide more details about your stay. We also receive bookings from a broad range of websites and are very conscious of ensuring that our quoted rates are what is charged upon arrival. if you were charged a different rate than what was stated on your booking confirmation, I will certainly refund the difference! If you could message me and provide these additional details, I will gladly work to remedy these issues.

HI-City Center
New Zealand
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We paid for a private ensuite room here, great mixture of both young and old stay at this hotel. It was so convenient to everything we wanted to do and the staff were extremely friendly, upbeat and helpful. You really could not ask for a better place to stay if economy is on your mind. Given that economy does not mean cheap and nasty, the price was very reasonable but the actual facilities were brilliant. Loved the old lift, it takes a bit of time to go up and down but it is really cute! This hotel us central to all areas and easy walking distance, for us that like to walk, to all main areas. Highly recommend for a San Fran stay.

Room Tip: For us slightly older ones, the ensuite rooms are great.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Coming from Europe we spent four nights here a couple of summers ago and we found it to be great value for money. The staff went to a lot of effort to put on activities for the guests and we particularly enjoyed the pub crawl that was organised. It was a good base for us to use, but I think overall we found our room a little cramped with two other travellers. By the time we got into the room, it was full of their possessions and there wasn't much room for ours, which was fine as we were only staying a while, but had we been staying longer than a week, I would have struggled. I also found the lack of power points in the room quite irritating as I had to charge my phone in the corridor in the end! The lift was charming, very old school! I enjoyed my stay for what it was, it's definitely geared up for travellers on a budget, but I struggled with the area as we were two young women travelling alone and Ellis Street has many, many homeless people on it. Most of these folk won't give you any hassle at all, but it can be a little unnerving, especially if you aren't used to that atmosphere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Michael F, Manager at San Francisco City Center Hostel, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Heya rxbeef,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave feedback about our property! If you stayed with us a few summers ago and had some of these concerns, come back and see us again. Over the last 2 years we have made some pretty substantial improvements. Pub Crawls now start in our cafe where we serve beer and wine. We have added 4-8 additional charging points per room, and we now have bigger and better lockers to help with that clutter, just to name a few things.

I am glad you had a good time with us. Come on back again and I think you will be surprised with how much has changed for the better. Thanks again for the review!

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

This place was lovely in terms of accommodation- friendly staff, quiet room and clean too. We stayed in a room with a private ensuite, which was definitely worth the extra money. The wifi was free, which is a huge bonus if you need a lot of Internet access. The only thing I didn't like, is that the location wasn't the best. While it is only a 10 min can ride to the pier and main shopping areas, the streets in close proximity we were told were pretty much off limits if we wanted to feel safe. A lot of homeless people around that apparently enjoy harassing the tourists who take a wrong street, but we didn't have any issues. It's more a sense of intimidation.

All in all though, it's a good place to stay, just be prepared to be catching a lot of cabs or taking on the hills if you want to get to to the popular areas/ attractions. I will probably choose to stay a bit closer to Union Square when I go back though.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Myself and my girlfriend Nuala stayed here for 3 nights. It's smack bang in the middle of everything. Great food joints at every corner and we were tended to by really helpful staff, in particular Paul and Liam. They gave us super advice on the best cuisine and bars in town. Will come back for sure. Rooms were spotless also. No complaints! Ian

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank IanCairnsNualaSheehy
Genova, Italia
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The location is in one of the worst zones of San Francisco, you can easily walk to San Francisco Downtown, but you can't go out after 8pm if you don't want to get assaulted.
The staff was rude an unpolite, they acted as if they didn't want you around, and they always kept horrible music in the hall so loud you couldn't talk without screaming.
The sleep quality was awful, due to the very uncomfortable mattresses and the people in the streets outside screaming all night long.
They clean it once a week and not even every week, they give you linens with holes, all the dishes and the kitchen are greasy. You can not even bring water to your room, and you have to leave it in the common kitchen, where you can be sure someone will steal it.
The stupidest of the many stupid rules they have is that you can't even bring friends in the hall!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo