“Great place to stay in the City”

Monte Cristo Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Great hosts, great location! Very comfortable accommodations in nice, fairly centrally located part of San Francisco. Free on-street parking, with bus stop a block or so down to take you direct to the Ferry Building and anywhere you like. Cute and quaint. Jack recommended an excellent restaurant close by. Would definitely recommend if you are looking for a reasonably priced, comfortable place to stay in an often highly priced city.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bankerjan

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Very nice place. We would go back. The facility is nice and clean and very Victorian. The host (Jack) was very accomodating and knowledgeable about where to go and how to get around. We recommend.

Room Tip: Get the California King bed
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Charles W
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Stayed here on travel when doing work at the Presidio. LOVED my room, especially the Japanese heated toilette seat. It is a great space, the owners are extremely friendly, and the breakfast really will make your day. Location was very convenient for me, but might not be so for other travelers. Pricing is very reasonable and the staff again is great!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Bisq_it
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We enjoyed our stay except for one thing. The owner failed to tell us that there was a remodeling project going on and in a bed and breakfast it's going to be noisy. So our anniversary afternoon that was to be romantic was spent listening to skill saws and hammering right across the hall. This is something I would think would be told to a guest at some point but it was not until we walked upstairs and saw the construction. On a good note if that were not going on, the room (11) was comfortable, window opens for fresh air, big comfy bed, bathroom in the room and breakfast was filling and yummy. It is a two story B&B that is located in a nice part of town. It is within walking distance of groceries, bank and many eateries.

Room Tip: rooms street side have more light but a bit more noise however you do not hear the traffic to the po...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I really enjoyed my one night at the Monte Cristo. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I chose it for the location and the staff helped me get to all the places I needed to get. The room I got was great, the bathroom was especially nice and well equipped. I also appreciated that there was tea and snacks always available and a nice living room where I could sit with friends. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I enjoyed my stay at the Monte Cristo and I intend to come back. The owner was very helpful and kind. He even lugged my huge suitcase up the stairs for me.

I actually stayed here twice in one week and both of the rooms I stayed in were nice and the beds were comfortable with fluffy bedding. However, the bathrooms are a little small. The breakfast was great and they will pretty much make you whatever you want each morning.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Sara D
Reviewed August 21, 2011

My husband, daughter, and I stayed overnight at the Monte Cristo Inn. I had never heard of it before, and I really only chose it for the location (close to USF). The price was higher than what we usually allow ourselves, but for the convenience and the free (street) parking, I decided to book it. I am really glad I did, because this place is great! The proprietors, Jack & Carl, have hospitality and customer service down to an art form. I requested an early check in because we got in earlier than we expected and our room was ready when we got there. The suite was absolutely charming.
The sofabed was already pulled out and made, and everything was immaculate. I normally don't walk around barefoot in hotel rooms (even in some fancy places), but my OCD did not rear its ugly head
at this B&B. There are
complimentary cookies, tea, coffee,
and fruit in the dining room 24/7.
The breakfast is delicious (and is
included in the room rate I believe):
this morning there was granola,
fresh fruit, yogurt, dried fruit and
nuts, pastries, juices, coffee, tea, and milk PLUS cooked-to-order eggs, toast, French toast, bacon, and an amazing gorgonzola bacon quiche, cooked and served with a hospitable & personal touch by
Terry. The Monte Cristo exceeded all my expectations. It is an old Victorian, so be advised that there probably is no elevator (at least I didn't see one--check to be sure). I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2011